Software Engineer - #030881 - Immediate Need
Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) seeks a Mid Level Software Engineer to join the team responsible for scientific software development for the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST). STScI is the science operations center for several NASA missions, including the Hubble Space Telescope, the most famous space observatory in history. We also lead the science and mission operations for the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), planned to launch in 2021, and will perform parts of the science operations for the Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST), in formulation for launch in the mid-2020s.
STScI offers an excellent and generous benefits package, tuition reimbursement, flexible work schedules, and a stimulating and diverse work environment. Relocation assistance may be available. Explore our benefits: http://www.stsci.edu/opportunities/benefits
Your Role & Responsibilities:
At STScI, we are building an innovative, cloud-based science platform for the processing and analysis of observations from these our flagship missions. STScI is seeking a Software Engineer to develop an innovative science platform and contribute new software to support the data processing of observations to enable the next generation of discoveries in astrophysics.
You will collaborate with a team that is passionate about the work they do in support of astronomers around the world. We offer an excellent and generous benefits package, tuition reimbursement, flexible work schedules, and a stimulating and diverse work environment.
Your primary responsibilities in this job include:
In this position, you will be responsible for developing cloud-based solutions for processing astronomical data in a fast paced multi-mission environment. You will expand the current solutions to handle the processing of large data sets and transitioning to a DevOps environment.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Pipeline processing of large astronomical data sets
- Optimizing software for performance in an AWS (Amazon Web Services) cloud-based environment
- Automating pipeline processing and data quality monitoring
- Automating system testing and continuous integration technologies. Jenkins is the current CI tool used
Your Qualifications and Job Requirements:
You are able to identify problems and implement solutions and offer guidance to development teams and end-users.
- Experience with building, deploying, and using cloud-based applications
- Familiarity with tools that support high throughput computing, pipelines/workflows
- Expertise in using Python and familiarity with open source libraries.
- Expertise in handling large data volumes in a cloud environment
- Familiarity using Git in a team setting
- Development pipeline orchestration/automation, containers (such as docker or ansible), performance testing, continuous integration, and fluency with different operating systems would be beneficial
- Strong teamwork, analytical, problem-solving, planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential
- This position requires US Citizenship or Permanent Residence in order to meet ITAR requirements
Bachelor’s Degree in IT, Computer Science, Engineering, Astronomy, or related field. The position level and salary are commensurate with education and experience.
TO APPLY: Share your experience by completing an on-line application. Please upload a cover letter and resume in one document for review. Applications received by June 21, 2019 will receive full consideration.
Explore all career opportunities through our website at: www.stsci.edu/opportunities.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements that are included for protection and to assist us in our record keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V Voted to the Baltimore Magazine Hall of Fame in 2015 – Top 25 Places to Work in Baltimore.