Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
Applicants will be evaluated to determine if they meet the minimum qualification requirements and on the extent to which their applicant shows possession of the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) associated with the position.
1. Ability to analyze and problem-solve a wide variety of legal issues related to intelligence and national security law. Knowledge of the statutes, regulations and case law related to intelligence and national security law.
2. Knowledge of federal and/or department of the Army administrative law to include statutes, regulations, and case law related to the freedom of information act (FOIA), privacy act (pa), administrative investigations, fiscal law, federal acquisition law, ethics, standards of conduct, executive orders and regulations.
3. Knowledge of federal and/or DOD and Army civilian personnel laws and the ability to litigate sensitive cases before the equal employment opportunity commission and merit system protection board.
4. Ability to write clear and concise legal documents.
VETERAN'S PREFERENCE INFORMATION: There is no formal rating system for applying veteran's preference to attorney appointments in the excepted service; however, the Department of Army considers veteran's preference eligibility a positive factor for attorney hiring. Applicants eligible for veteran's preference must include that information in their cover letter or resume and attach supporting documents (e.g., DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active duty) to their submissions. Although the point-preference system is not used, applicants eligible to claim a 10-point preference must submit a Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for 10-point Veteran Preference, and supporting documentation required for the specific type of preference claimed. (SF 15, which lists the type of 10-point preference and the required supporting documents, is available from the Office of Personnel Management Website at www.opm.gov.
The following minimum qualification requirements must be met before applicants are eligible for further consideration:
EDUCATION: An applicant must have successfully completed a full course of study in a school of law accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA) and have the first professional law degree (LLB or JD).
BAR MEMBERSHIP: Applicant must currently be a member in good standing of the bar of a state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
EXPERIENCE: Applicant must have two or more years of professional legal experience, acquired after being admitted to the bar, commensurate with the duties and responsibilities of the position.
Graduation from an ABA-Accredited Law School in the top 25% of the class or an advanced law degree such as an LLM may substitute for one year of the required professional legal experience.
Army DCIPS positions apply Veteran's Preference to preference eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) - 56 position.
- TERM: This announcement is for a term position. Permanent employees who apply, are selected for, and ultimately accept this position will be converted to a term appointment. Term positions in DCIPS may be extended up to a maximum of five years. This position may be converted to permanent without further competition after completion of two years of continuous service in this position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Recruitment, Retention, and/or Relocation expenses are not authorized
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.