Campus Safety and Risk Manager
The Campus Safety and Risk Manager role is a full time position reporting to the Director of Special Projects, Security and Transportation. This role is responsible for maintaining a safe and secure environment for students, employees and visitors by helping to develop, establish and enforce safety and security policies, access control procedures, accident prevention efforts, support risk management efforts, emergency preparedness and response, asset protection, parking control and traffic enforcement programs.
Overview of Responsibilities
● Partners with school leadership to manage and administer an effective enterprise risk management program for the school
● Coordinates a comprehensive security/school safety program, policies and procedures by studying the organization’s operations; establishes protocols and daily routines; conducts inspections as appropriate; reports potential hazards to appropriate departments; and works with leadership to optimize Potomac’s safety and security procedures
● Oversees the school’s health, safety and security committee, facilitates meetings, and documents the plans, discussions, outcomes, etc.
● Manages and coordinates security, traffic and parking activities related to the school event and activity calendar
● Coordinates school safety compliance with federal, state and local regulations by studying existing and new requirements and overseeing and enforcing school-wide adherence to requirements
● Hires, develops, trains and manages the Campus Security Officers while ensuring they are performing at the highest level
● Supports the efforts of Campus Security Officers by patrolling campus and establishing the daily routines and procedures to ensure a safe campus environment
● Works with Director of Special Project, Security and Transportation to identify opportunities to improve campus safety, including, analyzing proposals, selecting vendors and managing vendor relationships related to safety and security
● Provides oversight, documentation and coordination of approval of independent service providers to include background check and clearan
● Manages security-related video and cameras, card access and distribution, alarm, emergency phones, and all related security systems/equipment
● Works with division heads to schedule drills, maintains records of fire and other emergency drills, conducts drills, and provides post-drill feedback to the leadership team
● Conducts and coordinates safety, security and emergency preparedness training by developing, scheduling and/or facilitating training, with proper adaptation to the environment, for employees and students relating to school safety, security and emergency preparedness
● Serves as a liaison with local law enforcement agencies, working directly with local law enforcement agencies during critical incident situations and follow-up.
● Prepares and manages the safety and security operating budget, plans for capital improvements as needed, and schedules expenditures
● Assists in the development and implementation of security plans for special events.
● Receives all reports of school crime from site-based administrators and manages or partners with appropriate parties on safety and security related investigations
● Prepares memos, reports, drawings, and relevant statistics related to safety and traffic issues on campus
● Responds to all campus emergencies and suspicious activities, taking appropriate action
● Presents to community constituents (i.e., extended administration team, parent body, Board of Trustees, etc.), as necessary, on various safety and risk management-related topics
● Participates in ongoing professional development to stay current on laws, policies and procedures regarding school safety
● Communicates with other schools on best practices related to school safety.
● Performs other related duties as required
● Bachelor’s degree is preferred
● Must have demonstrated professional experience in a related field such as law enforcement, security, and/or emergency management
● Must currently possess or have the ability to achieve CPR/AED instructor certification
● Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
● High proficiency with computers and technology, including security management software
● Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a variety of constituencies
● Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
● Ability to be flexible and adaptable with proven problem solving skills
● Strong work ethic and a high level of integrity
● Ability to negotiate small and/or tight areas, climb ladders and narrow stairs, lift up to 75 lbs. and walk the campus, including wooded and natural areas.
● All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background investigation which involves fingerprinting
In striving to fulfill its mission, The Potomac School seeks many different voices, viewpoints, and backgrounds. We recognize that differences are a source of strength, and we know that everyone is enriched when each person's contributions and perspectives are valued. To express interest in this role, please click here.