Public Affairs Specialist
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes , only for Redstone Arsenal
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the NH-02 or GS-11 grade level in the Federal service:
- Experience communicating the policies and programs of a government organization to internal and external stakeholders including news media.
- Knowledge of communication principles, methods, practices, and techniques; analytical methods; and interpersonal relations practices.
- Knowledge of commercial print, electronic, and internet media organizations and media communications tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of policies and regulations relating to government publications.
- Demonstrated skill in developing and disseminating a wide range of information and data concerning the nature and objectives of agency programs to various publics and employing all types of existing and emerging media including radio, television, newspapers, magazines, professional and scientific journals, still and motion pictures, posters, exhibits, internet, and advertisements.
Substitution of education may not be used in lieu of specialized experience for this grade level.
Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA): To be eligible for a VEOA appointment under Merit Promotion procedures, the veteran must be a preference eligible or a veteran separated after 3 years or more of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Programs: This program applies to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. For more information:
Noncompetitive Appointment Authorities: For more information on noncompetitive appointment authority eligibility requirements:
Person with Disabilities- Schedule A
Special Hiring Authorities for Veterans
Other Special Appointment Authorities
Special Hiring Authority for Certain Military Spouses
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (seehttps://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx )
To receive consideration please make sure you select ALL appropriate eligibilities in the application questionnaire.
Re-employed Annuitant: This position does not meet criteria for re-employed annuitant. The DoD criteria for hiring Re-employed Annuitants can be found at:
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Public affairs guidance and expertise
- Media Relations and External Engagement
- Interpersonal Relationship Skills