Occasional travel - Temporary Duty (TDY) or business travel is required 15% of the time to meet with higher echelon, senior leadership and other stakeholders to discuss policy issues, legislation, regulations governing Civil Works and Water Resources matters.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Moving (Permanent Change of Station (PCS) expenses ar authorized in accordance with Joint Travel Regulations (JTR).
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
This position has a positive education requirement. To view the educational requirements, go to the links listed below for each series you are interested in applying for on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) website:
Community Planner (series 0020) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0000/community-planning-series-0020/.
Social Scientist (series 0101) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0100/social-science-series-0101/.
Biologist (series 0401) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0400/general-natural-resources-management-and-biological-sciences-series-0401/.
General Engineer (series 0801) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/general-engineering-series-0801/.
Civil Engineer (series 0810) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/civil-engineering-series-0810/.
Environmental Engineer (series 0819) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/environmental-engineering-series-0819/.
Mechanical Engineer (series 0830) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/mechanical-engineering-series-0830/.
Electrical Engineer (series 0850) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/electrical-engineering-series-0850/.
Physical Scientist (series 1301) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1300/general-physical-science-series-1301/
In order to qualify for one of the occupational series listed above, applicants must meet minimum education and/or experience requirements listed below.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which includes: managing and integrating civil works, water resources and navigation and dredging functions; providing management, consultation, review and evaluation of navigation and dredging programs and projects; serving as the technical expert and chief advisor to ensure policies, regulations, and strategies are adhered to and implemented within civil works framework and at the national level; providing advice on regulatory, procedural, guidelines and requirements of navigation programs; participating in meetings to promote acceptance of programs and management initiatives; striving to identify and eradicate underlying issues and problems which adversely impact operations & maintenance (O&M) navigation and dredging problems and operations; providing supervisory and managerial oversight for the personnel management of staff; and formulating and executing comprehensive civil works and multi-interdisciplinary strategies and initiatives. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-14).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Ability to lead or supervise
- Environmental Project and Program Management
- Problem Solving
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- One year supervisory probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 18 - Engineers and Scientists position.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- When you perform a Civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the government, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers the majority of your entitlements to be taxable. Visit https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf for more information.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is authorized, subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations.
- Situational telework may be authorized.
- A relocation or recruitment incentive may be authorized.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.