ACCOUNTANT (RECENT GRADUATE)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
The qualifications for this position must be met by 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement 05/21/2019.
Pathways Participant Agreement: All Recent Graduates are required to sign the Pathways Program Participant Agreement which outlines program requirements and non-competitive conversion eligibility.
Probationary Period: You may be required to serve a probationary period of 1 year.
Residency Requirement: There is a residency requirement for all applicants not currently employed by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. This residency requirement states that candidates must have, for three of the last five years immediately prior to applying for this position; (1) resided in the United States; OR (2) worked for the United States Government as an employee overseas in a Federal or Military capacity, OR (3) been a dependent of a U.S. Federal or Military employee serving overseas.
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
Conditions of Employment:
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. National to apply for this position.
- Successfully pass a Background Investigation including financial disclosure.
- You must pass a drug screening.
- You must submit resume and supporting documentation.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- Political appointees may require OPM approval before on-boarding.
NOTE: IN ADDITION TO THE BELOW QUALIFICATIONS PLEASE SEE THE BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT LISTED IN THE EDUCATION SECTION OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT)
GS-05: You qualify at the GS-05 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, which is equivalent to the GS-04 level in the federal government, that equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. You must have experience performing the following duties:
- Three years of progressively responsible experience that demonstrates the ability to analyze problems to identify significant factors, gather pertinent data, and recognize solutions; plan and organize work; and communicate effectively orally and in writing. Such experience may have been gained in administrative, professional, technical, investigative, or other responsible work. Experience in substantive and relevant secretarial, clerical, or other responsible work may be qualifying as long as it provided evidence of the skills necessary to perform the duties of the position to be filled. Experience of a general clerical nature (typing, filing, routine procedural processing, maintaining records, or other non-specialized tasks) is not creditable OR
- Successful completion of a full four-year course of study above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation or the equivalent is the normal prerequisite can be substituted for specialized experience. This education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university. One year of full-time academic study is defined as 30 semester hours, 45-quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university, or at least 20 hours of classroom instruction per week for approximately 36 weeks in a business, secretarial, or technical school.
GS-07: In addition to the requirements at the lower grade level, you qualify at the GS-07 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-05 level in the federal government, which has equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. You must have experience performing the following duties:
- Tracking operations and solving operational problems;
- Studying existing reports, accounts, and instructions to streamline operations or to provide more meaningful financial information;
- Advising managers on transactions that differ from the norm. OR
- You may substitute superior academic achievement for the experience required at the GS-07 level. You must have completed the requirements for a Bachelor's degree in accounting or a related field such as finance, business administration or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting coursework (this may include up to 6 hours of business law) from an accredited college or university with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale, class standing in the upper third of a graduating class or major subdivision, or membership in a national scholastic honor society. OR
- You may substitute successful completion of one year of full-time graduate education for the experience required at the GS-07 level. This education must have been obtained from an accredited college or university and demonstrate the skills necessary to do the work of the position. A course of study in accounting or a related field such as finance, business administration or public administration is qualifying. Check with your school to determine how many credit hours comprise a year of graduate education. If that information is not available, use 18 semester or 27 quarter hours.
It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date. Your resume serves as the basis for qualification determinations and must highlight your most relevant and significant work experience and education (if applicable), as it relates to this job opportunity. Please be clear and specific when describing your work history as we cannot make assumptions regarding your experience. Your application will also be rated and ranked among others based on your responses to the online questions.
Please ensure EACH work history includes ALL of the following information:
- Job Title (include series and grade if Federal Job)
- Duties (be specific in describing your duties)
- Employer's name and address
- Supervisor name and phone number
- Start and end dates including month, day and year (e.g. June 18 2007 to April 05 2008)
- Start and end dates for each grade/pay level if you've held a federal position.
- Full-time or part-time status (include hours worked per week)
Note: Overstating your qualifications and/or experience in your application materials or application questionnaire may result in your removal from consideration.
If you are using current or prior federal experience as a basis for qualifying for this position, the grade levels and length of employment (mm/dd/year) at each grade level must be listed in your work history. This information will be further validated if selected for this position.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience):
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build criteria competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer service. Please provide the dates and amount of time/hours worked earning this experience.
- For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please click here.
- We will notify you by email at various stages in the process click here.
- This position is in the bargaining unit.
- This position is not considered "essential" for purposes of reporting to work when the facility might otherwise be closed.
- USCIS may fill one or more positions using this vacancy.
RECENT GRADUATE PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY
To meet the Program requirements, you must have obtained a qualifying degree to include an Associates, Bachelor's, Master's, Professional, Doctorate, OR obtained a Vocational, Technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution, within the previous two years. Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation, begin their two year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years from the date on which the degree or certification was completed. Applicants who have recently graduated but don't have official transcripts yet are able to apply as long as they graduate by the closing date of this announcement 5/21/2019 and can provide official transcripts upon selection. All education must be from accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement). Applicants may verify accreditation at the following website: http://http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Index.aspx
COMBINING QUALIFYING EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: If you do not qualify based on experience or education alone, you may be able to qualify based on a combination of your experience and education. For more information on combining education and experience, visit the following website: General Schedule Qualification Standards.
Basic Education Requirements:
A. A degree in accounting or a related field such as finance, business administration or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting coursework (this may include up to 6 hours of business law); OR
B. 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. Your background must also include one of the following:
1. 24 semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality (which may include 6 hours of business law); or
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Audit (obtained through written examination); or
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing (e.g.,15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24 semester hour requirement), provided that:
a) You have successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, Auditing, or a related field;
b) At least two professional accountants have determined that you demonstrate a good knowledge of accounting (equal to four years of study); and
c) Except for literal non-conformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, your education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to the DHS Careers website and select "Benefits." Disabled veteran leave will be available to any Federal employee hired on or after November 5, 2016, who is a veteran with a service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.
To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, this position requires completion and adjudication of a background investigation. This may include a review of financial issues such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs. The background investigation process is initiated after a selection is made. For more information visit the OPM Myth Buster Page.
If a SECRET or TOP SECRET clearance is needed, all selected candidates must meet the requirements for these clearances prior to placement AND maintain that level of clearance while encumbering the position.
Special Hiring Authorities
The Department of Homeland Security encourages persons with disabilities to apply, to include persons with intellectual, severe physical or psychiatric disabilities, as defined by 5 CFR § 213.3102(u), and/or Disabled Veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30 percent or more as defined by 5 CFR § 315.707. Veterans, Peace Corps/VISTA volunteers, and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility for non-competitive appointment and to understand the required documentation, click on the links above or contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.
USCIS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
It is our responsibility to eliminate any risks to national security, public health, and public safety that could be posed by individuals who use illegal drugs. This position may be subject to random testing as a condition of employment. A positive drug test or refusal to be tested will result in disciplinary action, up to and including removal from Federal service.
Note:If you previously retired from the Federal service and are receiving an annuity, your salary may be offset by the amount of your annuity.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated and placed in one of the three categories based on how well you meet the qualifications listed in this vacancy announcement. Your qualifications will be evaluated based on your application materials (e.g., resume, supporting documents), the responses you provide on the application questionnaire, and the result of the online assessments required for this position.
- Best-Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
- Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
- Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Service
- Decision Making
- Integrity / Honesty
- Interpersonal Skills
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Stress tolerance
If you are found best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be contacted for an interview. To preview the job questionnaire, click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10498913.
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligible
If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not CTAP/ICTAP eligible. Information about CTAP or ICTAP eligibility can be found by clicking here to access OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under CTAP/ ICTAP, you must be rated at a minimum score of 80 for this position. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific, professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. This position is considered scientific/professional. For information on veterans' preference, please click here.
Note: Applicants who are referred to the hiring office for selection consideration may be required to complete a writing sample and/or other writing exercise as part of the interview/selection process. If the hiring office decides to request a writing sample and/or other writing exercise as part of its selection process, a designated contractor or Agency representative will contact you to: (1) inform you of this requirement; and (2) provide further instructions.
Read more Security clearance Not Required Drug test required Yes