LEAD INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALST
25% or less - This position may require travel and/or overnight travel, or driving for extended periods of time, subject to the determination of management.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this position
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered with Selective Service
- Primary U.S. residency for the last three years (additional details below)
- You may be required to pass a background investigation and/or polygraph
- Upon appointment, you may be required to undergo random drug testing
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Experience: You qualify for the GS-13 grade level if you possess 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level, performing duties such as:
- Identifying and interpreting relevant information including Information Technology industry standards and practices
- Recommending solutions and leading the implementation of management decisions
- Evaluating the impact of changes in business needs on current Information Technology policy
- Researching, evaluating and providing feedback on problematic trends and patterns
You must meet all qualification requirements, including education if applicable to this position, subject to verification at any stage of the application process by 05/21/2019.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
Background Investigation: U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is a federal law enforcement agency that requires all applicants to undergo a thorough background investigation prior to employment in order to promote the agency's core values of vigilance, service to country, and integrity. During the screening and/or background investigation process, you will be asked questions regarding any felony criminal convictions or current felony charges, the use of illegal drugs (e.g., marijuana, cocaine, heroin, LSD, methamphetamines, ecstasy), and the use of non-prescribed controlled substances including any experimentation, possession, sale, receipt, manufacture, cultivation, production, transfer, shipping, trafficking, or distribution of controlled substances. For more information visit this link.
Residency: If you are not currently a CBP employee, you must meet one or more of the following primary residency criteria for at least three years prior to applying to this announcement:
- Resided in the United States or its protectorate or territories (excluding short trips abroad, such as vacations);
- Worked for the United States government as an employee overseas in a federal or military capacity; or
- Been a dependent of a United States federal or military employee serving overseas.
Probationary Period: All employees new to the federal government must serve a one year probationary period during the first year of his/her initial permanent federal appointment to determine fitness for continued employment. Current and former federal employees may be required to serve or complete a probationary period.
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the Federal Government, you are not CTAP/ICTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility can be found here.You must submit the supporting documents listed in the "Required Documents" section of this announcement. In addition, to be considered under CTAP/ICTAP, you must have knowledge, skills , abilities and/or competencies as defined under "How You Will Be Evaluated" section of this announcement which clearly exceed the minimum qualification and any applicable basic requirements for the vacancy.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
Physical Demands: You may be required to stand and for long periods, along with crouching or crawling in small work areas, and lifting heavy object up to 50 pounds.
On Call: This position may require the incumbent to be on call 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
Overtime: This position may require uncontrollable, unscheduled overtime in excess of the 40-hour work week.
Bargaining Unit: This position is covered under the bargaining unit.
Telework may be available on a regular recurring or situational basis.
CBP uses E-Verify, an internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify including your rights and responsibilities.
Every individual receives a fair opportunity throughout the federal recruitment and hiring process. Learn more here.
Follow U.S. Customs and Border Protection on Twitter @CustomsBorder
The Department of Homeland Security encourages persons with disabilities to apply, to include persons with intellectual, severe physical or psychiatric disabilities, as defined by 5 CFR § 213.3102(u), and/or Disabled Veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30 percent or more as defined by 5 CFR § 315.707. Veterans, Peace Corps/VISTA volunteers, and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility for non-competitive appointment and to understand the required documentation, click on the links above or contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
This position is being filled under a Direct Hire Authority. You will be evaluated based on your resume, supporting documentation and responses to the job questionnaire. All applicants who meet minimum qualifications and any basic requirements applicable to this position, will be forwarded to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview.
In accordance with the Direct Hire Authority, rating and ranking questions will not be used. However, candidates must have the following competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform this job:
- Knowledge and Skill in applying methods and practices for troubleshooting, recovering, adjusting, modifying and improving Information Technology Systems.
- Knowledge of project management principles and methods
- Knowledge of and skill in applying oral and written communication techniques
- Ability to lead a team in the delivery of a variety of customer and network support services to local organizations dependent upon Information Technology systems for the delivery of vital program services.
Veterans: Veterans preference does not apply to selections made using the Direct Hire Authority. Veteran candidates will be considered along with all other applicants who apply. Read more Security clearance Not Required Drug test required No