The News Literacy Project (NLP) is looking for a highly organized and experienced finance director to work a 30-hour week managing its accounting functions, including financial reporting and maintenance of all financial policies and procedures.
If you’re interested in applying your skills and experience in a mission-driven and growing nonprofit, this is a great opportunity with an organization serving educators and students throughout the United States and around the world.
Founded in 2008, the News Literacy Project is a national nonpartisan education nonprofit that empowers educators to teach middle school and high school students how to sort fact from fiction in everything they read, watch and hear. Our central offering is the Checkology® virtual classroom, an online e-learning hub. Since the platform was introduced in 2016, more than 18,000 teachers have registered to use it in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, four U.S. territories and 107 other countries. More information can be found at newslit.org.
About the position
The finance director must be a strong manager and have relevant 501(c)(3) nonprofit experience, including 6+ years as a controller or finance manager. This position will report to the vice president of administration.
In this job, you will:
- Work closely with the vice president of administration in maintaining the organization’s fiscal responsibility and practice, including finance/accounting policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems.
- Coordinate the implementation and monitoring of the organization's annual budget.
- Maintain the general ledger and prepare the monthly close of the books. Produce monthly, quarterly and annual fiscal reports, variance of actual activity to budget reports, weekly bank balance status reports and monthly reconciliation of all bank accounts.
- Maintain accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and 1099 preparation and filing; process checks for payments.
- Establish, track and prepare reports for restricted grant budgets.
- Establish and monitor inventory tracking systems of supplies and equipment.
- Collaborate with the vice president of administration and auditing team for the preparation and completion of the annual audit.
- Implement and update as needed all accounting policies and procedures for internal controls.
- Ensure legal, regulatory and reporting compliance with GAAP and IRS regulations for all accounting and financial reporting functions.
The ideal candidate will have most or all of the following qualities/qualifications:
- 6+ years of experience as a controller or finance manager, preferably for a 501(c)(3) organization.
- In-depth knowledge of financial software; QuickBooks experience is a plus.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Accustomed to and comfortable with working remotely.
- Active CPA license and/or CMA certification preferred.
- Interest in mission-driven work.
Compensation and benefits
The salary is competitive, based on experience and qualifications. NLP offers outstanding benefits, including health and dental insurance, a 401(k) plan with employer match, generous time off and more. While this position works largely virtually, preferred candidates will live in or near Washington, D.C., where NLP is based.
To apply, send a cover letter, including salary requirements, and a résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Finance Director” in the subject line.
The application deadline is 5 p.m. ET on Friday, May 31. We hope to hire as quickly as possible for a start date on July 8.
The News Literacy Project strongly welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds. We offer equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons and prohibit discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service or other protected status.