Director, State Health Care & Education Affairs
This position is responsible for identifying, developing, and managing strategic activities related to state legislation, state legislative proposals, state regulations, and state administrative actions for the purposes of advancing health care and education priorities within ASHA’s Public Policy Agenda on behalf of the professions of audiology and speech-language pathology, as well as activities that support affiliated state association advocacy initiatives consistent with ASHA’s established policies.
- Collaborates on identifying, developing, executing, and evaluating coordinated advocacy strategies designed to advance ASHA’s Public Policy Agenda.
- Reviews relevant legislation and regulations that impact the health care and education priorities within ASHA’s Public Policy Agenda; creates strategic and tactical recommendations for ASHA and affiliated state associations designed to advance the relevant priorities within ASHA’s Public Policy Agenda, and identifies state-based trends in relevant policies that impact the professions of audiology and speech-language pathology.
- Conducts rapid analysis of relevant state legislation, state legislative proposals, state regulations, and state administrative actions, including policy and budgetary implications.
- Prepares analyses, issue briefs, letters, testimony, and regulatory comments on state legislation, state legislative proposals, state regulations and administrative actions that are designed to advance the health care and education priorities within the ASHA’s Public Policy Agenda.
- Provides affiliated state associations with strategic advocacy assistance, planning and support.
- Identifies, develops, maintains, and leverages strategic relationships with relevant staff of external organizations, including coalitions, in accordance with relevant ASHA policies.
- Collaborates on strategic communications, messaging, and grassroots materials that are designed to advance ASHA’s Public Policy Agenda. Develops articles and other products for online and print communications.
- Maintains state affairs web pages as directed by the Director of State Affairs.
- Serves as the official Association liaison to affiliated state associations and licensing boards as assigned by the Director of State Affairs. Provides expert consultation on state legislative and regulatory issues for the purpose of advancing the Association’s Public Policy Agenda.
Knowledge typically acquired through:
- Advanced degree in political science, government, public policy or a related field.
- 6 years of experience in state advocacy in health care and/or education policies in an association or corporation; experience at a nonprofit association is preferred.
Scope and depth of technical skills/knowledge:
- Demonstrated ability in strategic policy analysis and development activities
- Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality and impactful analyses, issue briefs, letters, testimony, regulatory comments, model legislative language, and related products
- Demonstrated ability in successfully working with state-based associations and providing strategic advocacy support
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain strategic relationships with lawmakers, policymakers and allied stakeholders
- Demonstrated negotiation skills
- Demonstrated understanding of state legislative and regulatory processes
- Demonstrated knowledge of health care and education policies that impact the Association
- Working knowledge of communications sciences and disorders is desirable
Scope and depth of non-technical skills/knowledge:
- Strong collaborative and facilitative leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, organize, and execute multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and a creative approach to work.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve consensus when opposing viewpoints are presented.