Teacher, English (Department Chair)
The High School Department Chair leads the department in instructional innovations, and methods that will engage students in authentic, challenging work toward deeper learning of the curriculum.
* Leads and supports colleagues in the creation and assessment of student-centered, authentic learning experiences for students. Keeps informed on educational innovations and trends as they relate to authentic learning and student engagement. Applies the learning to leadership actions and professional learning within the department.
* Assists Principals and Curriculum Supervisors to promote school based goals aligned with division initiatives; Attends relevant School District and professional meetings or trainings as needed and serves a capacity building leadership role in their buildings.
* Assists the Curriculum Supervisor in establishing division objectives and develops a plan for the implementation and evaluation of objectives; Meets regularly with department chairs at the division level to promote interdisciplinary programs and integrated learning.
* Assists the Principal in establishing departmental objectives and develops a plan for the implementation and evaluation of objectives; Meets regularly with site-based department chairs to promote interdisciplinary programs and integrated learning.
* Collaborates with their respective curriculum department chairs and Curriculum Supervisor; Works in collaboration with the curriculum supervisor to implement and support the district curriculum; Oversees the acquisition of appropriate departmental instructional materials, including community resources. Interprets the instructional program with staff for parents and community.
* Facilitates department meetings and professional learning; Provides ongoing feedback on curriculum, instruction, assessment, and student learning to the staff, Principal and Curriculum Supervisor; Participates in, and encourages regular peer-to-peer observation in classrooms and organizes consultation/feedback sessions to enhance teaching and learning.
* Performs other related duties as may be assigned by the Principal, or Curriculum Supervisor in consultation with the Principal.
The Department Chair reports to the Principal or the Principal's designee, and consults with the Curriculum Supervisor on a regular basis.
Must have or be eligible for Virginia licensure with endorsement(s) required for teaching assignment(s).
* Holds or is eligible for a Postgraduate Professional License in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
* Has successful experience as a classroom teacher.
* Has demonstrated the professional and personal characteristics necessary for working effectively with school personnel—including a commitment to instructional innovation for student learning.
* Has demonstrated successful experience working with and leading colleagues in meaningful professional learning experiences that translate directly to impacting classroom practices.