- Full Time
The Foundation Specialist will work to identify new prospects and grow and diversify the Institute’s portfolio of foundation contributors. While a strong foundation in grant writing is essential, the Specialist will be primarily responsible for proactively approaching foundation prospects whose funding interests align with the Institute's educational work in schools across the United States and beyond. In addition to researching, initiating and cultivating new relationships to ensure long-term sustainability of initiatives like Math, Science and Music; Jazz in the Classroom and the Herbie Hancock Institute of Jazz Performance, among others, the Foundation Specialist will maintain a high level of stewardship and maximize retention of the Institute’s existing foundation donors. As a member of the Institute's Development team, the Specialist also will help coordinate special events, draft donor acknowledgments, and maintain the eTapestry database.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter, highly organized and comfortable interacting with prospects and current donors in person and over the phone as well as through e-mail and written correspondence. Complementing their work in the Institute’s Washington, DC office, the Foundation Specialist will be expected to travel for meetings with prospects and current funders, as well as plan and execute a limited number of offsite cultivation events, including school visits and end-of-year concerts.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Demonstrated experience stewarding and conducting direct outreach to foundation contacts at all levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must.
- Proven prospecting experience demonstrating a track-record of successfully researching and identifying new foundation prospects utilizing a variety of online tools.
- 3-5 years of grant writing experience, including preparation of budgets.
- Knowledge of institutional fundraising best practices, including data collection and analysis and strategies for achieving optimal funder engagement.
- Must be able to work independently and juggle multiple deadlines.
- Willingness to travel 10-20% plus occasional evening and weekend events and activities.
- Some event management experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite and CRM software (e.g., eTapestry, Raiser’s Edge, Tessitura) is essential.
- Passion for music and jazz education is a plus.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, two writing samples and salary history and expectations with your application.
Apply for Foundation Specialist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly