Chief Financial Officer
Occasional travel - Occasional travel to conferences and meetings is required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Unless you are currently serving under a career Senior Executive Service appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into the Senior Executive Service, or have successfully completed a Senior Executive Service Candidate development Program approved by OPM, you must submit a narrative statement, as addressed in the vacancy questions, covering each of the Executive Core Qualifications.Applicants must provide detailed evidence of possession of each of the Technical and Executive Core Qualifications listed below to assist reviewing officials in determining the best qualified candidates to be referred to the selecting official. FAILURE TO MEET OR ADDRESS ANY ONE OF THE MANDATORY TECHNICAL OR EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATION STANDARDS WILL ELIMINATE A CANDIDATE FROM FURTHER CONSIDERATION.
Fundamental Competencies are cross-cutting and should be addressed over the course of your ECQ narratives. For more information, refer to the OPM Guide to Senior Executive Service (SES) Executive Core Qualifications available on-line at: OPM SES ECQ Guide.
Fundamental Competencies: The following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the ECQs below: Interpersonal Skills; Oral Communication; Integrity/Honesty; Written Communication; Continual Learning; and Public Service Motivation.
ECQ 1 - Leading Change: Ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
Leadership Competencies: Creativity and Innovation; External Awareness; Flexibility; Resilience; Strategic Thinking; Vision
ECQ 2 - Leading People: Ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
Leadership Competencies: Conflict Management; Leveraging Diversity; Developing Others; Team Building
ECQ 3 - Results Driven: Ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
Leadership Competencies: Accountability; Customer Service; Decisiveness; Problem Solving; Technical Credibility
ECQ 4 - Business Acumen: Ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
Leadership Competencies: Financial Management; Human Capital Management; Technology Management;
ECQ 5 - Building Coalitions/Communication: Ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
Leadership Competencies: Partnering; Political Savvy; Influencing/Negotiating
Your examples should be clear and concise, and emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments with results of your actions, policy initiatives and level of contacts. We recommend that you limit your narrative to two pages per Qualification.
Candidates must have had at least one year of experience equivalent to the GS-15 level in the Federal Service.
MANDATORY TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES: All candidates must submit a narrative statement addressing each of the following Technical Competencies.
1. Demonstrated experience handling multimillion dollar collections.
2. Demonstrated experience with the development and implementation of financial system with special emphasis on accounting systems design functions.
3. Demonstrated experience in constructing comprehensive budgets based on an organization’s strategic plan and justifying the budget plans in support of the organization's mission and objectives.
4. Demonstrated leadership ability and experience in implementing, integrating, and/or managing complex financial management operations and programs.
5. In-depth technical experience in budget formulation and execution, financial analyses and knowledge of Congressional budget process.
6. Demonstrated experience directing a wide-range of fiscal activities involved in providing authoritative advice and guidance on issues as they relate to the interpretation and implementation of financial management laws and regulations.
A. Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")
B. Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position. A panel may be convened to determine "best qualified" candidates. The rating and ranking will be based upon consideration of the degree to which you meet the Executive Core Qualifications, Selective Factor (if applicable) and Technical Qualifications. Interviews and qualifications inquiries may be required.
To preview questions please click here.