Pharmacy Technician - Procurement
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education or Experience. A high school diploma or equivalent; or at least 3 months experience.
- Certification. Certification by the National Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) is required at grades GS-6 and above.
- Physical Requirements. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019.
- English Language Proficiency. Pharmacy technicians appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with chapter 2, section D, paragraph 5a, this part.
- Creditable Experience. To be creditable, the experience must have required the use of knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics associated with the scope of pharmacy technician practice.
- Quality of Experience. To be creditable, pharmacy technician experience must be documented on the application and verified in an employment reference, or through other independent means.
- Part-time Experience. Part-time experience as a pharmacy technician is credited according to its relationship to the full-time workweek. For example, a pharmacy technician would receive 1 week of full-time credit for each 2 weeks of half-time work.
(a) Experience. One year experience at the next lower level and must fully meet the KSAs at the next lower level. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following technical KSAs and the potential to acquire the assignment specific KSAs designated by an asterisk (*):
(b) Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
*1. Ability to evaluate, analyze workflow, and coordinate work activities.
2. Ability to independently gather, evaluate, and analyze data to generate reports and/or for other projects/statistical purposes.
3. Knowledge of pharmacy policies and procedures sufficient to train and orient new employees and other staff
4. Comprehensive knowledge of the operation and care of specialized pharmaceutical equipment.
5. Comprehensive knowledge of the procurement and formulary process.
6. Comprehensive knowledge of investigational drug policies and procedures.
7. Comprehensive knowledge of controlled substance policies and procedures, and the ability to identify and investigate discrepancies in these policies and procedures.
8. Comprehensive knowledge of, and ability to, analyze data in VA information systems.
References: VA Handbook 5005/15, Part II, Appendix G28.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-07.
Physical Requirements: Requires moderate lifting of 15-44 pounds, use of fingers, climbing, use of legs and arms, periods of standing and walking.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate's education and experience and recommend the grade and salary at which the candidate will be placed. For internal selectees eligible for promotion, the board will recommend grade and HR will determine step in accordance with policy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.