Elementary School Dean
The Elementary School Dean works with the Principal and Assistant Principal in carrying out academic and behavior programs that enhance student learning and promote the social and emotional health of every child.
The Dean serves as an instructional leader in the planning, coordination, and administration of school activities and initiatives including curriculum, instruction, assessment, student conduct and attendance, school plant operations, and the supervision and evaluation of assigned personnel.
* Assists in the supervision and evaluation of licensed and classified personnel; assigns duties to faculty and staff as appropriate to meet school objectives; manages school operations in the absence of the Principal and Assistant Principal; assists with the supervision of custodial staff and providing substitutes for the school staff
* Assists in interpreting school and district programs, policies, and procedures to students, parents, staff and community under the supervision of the Principal or his/her designee
* Demonstrates leadership in the development of positive behavior support systems (PBIS) by coordinating, facilitating, and implementing disciplinary intervention steps and processes staff steps; works positively with all students to provide them with assistance in meeting their educational needs; shares responsibility in creating and fostering community connections by assisting with building use, public partnerships, and parent outreach
* Assists with the general supervision of students during the school day, specifically during arrival and dismissal, lunch and recess, and during after-school activities
* Assists with the review of lesson plans, report cards and interims, attendance reports, and student achievement data
* Shares responsibilities for chairing Child Study, eligibility, and IEP team meetings and monitoring instruction to ensure compliance with Special Education regulations
* Must have or be eligible for a current teaching license in the Commonwealth of Virginia
* Has a minimum of three years successful experience as a teacher, administrator, or supervisor
* Holds a Master's Degree from an accredited college or university with an Admin and Supervision PreK-12 endorsement or is willing to complete a program leading to this endorsement within three years (Preference may be given to an applicant with a Master's Degree or with an Admin and Supervision PreK-12 endorsement)
* Possesses strong communication, writing, and presentation skills which demonstrate the ability to assimilate, analyze, and present information clearly and concisely
* Possesses leadership qualities and personal characteristics necessary to work effectively with students, parents, teachers, administrators, and community
The Elementary School Dean reports to the Principal.