Senior Associate, Communications and Branding
Do you dream of making the world a better place through your messaging, marketing, public relations, creativity, excellent writing skills and beautiful designs? If this describes you, then here is an opportunity that will let you combine your skills and experience with your passion to touch the lives of people across the country.
Community Action Partnership, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization headquartered in Washington, DC, is looking for a Communications and Branding Senior Associate to help us with our communications and branding efforts, with the goal of raising the visibility of the Community Action brand and the impact of our 1,000+ agencies across the country in fighting poverty. Community Action Partnership provides tools, training, resources and assistance to anti-poverty organizations funded by the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG). As a Communications and Branding Senior Associate, you will be working to assist the Partnership in achieving its communications goal of positioning the Partnership as an extensive, knowledgeable force on poverty so it can attract and sustain an effective on-the-ground network of Community Action Agencies and build its influence to shape national debates on poverty.
Under the immediate supervision of the Chief Executive Officer and Deputy Director, the Senior Associate, Communications and Branding will work toward the aforementioned communications goal via the following objectives:
- Increase the Partnership’s value to the Network by connecting agencies to the specific training, technical assistance, resources, and opportunities that are relevant to them.
- Position the Community Action Partnership’s national office as an expert on poverty with a broad national reach to build the influence it needs to shape national debates.
- Increase positioning cohesion between members to boost awareness of the Network as being a robust, on-the-ground force nationwide.
- Strengthen the capacity of the Network to communicate about Community Action Agencies as trusted, effective community partners.
- Build the Partnership’s internal capacity to communicate effectively.
Position will work closely with Chief Executive Officer and leadership team as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives including branding efforts done in collaboration with the Community Action network. This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. Salary is $65,000 - $70,000 per year (plus benefits) based on experience. To apply, send cover letter, resume, writing sample, other relevant work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org noting “Senior Associate, Communications and Branding” in the subject line. No calls. Applications accepted until position filled.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Execute Strategic Communications Plan
- Produce a bi-annual Impact Report
- Develop and deploy campaign to promote Impact Report information
- Create and deploy editorial calendar
- Draft press releases
- Coordinate press contacts and press events
- Stay abreast of media coverage focused on poverty and economic opportunity and related issues; develop ideas for stories, newsletter content, white papers, etc. and draft content
- Stay abreast of media coverage of local Community Action Agencies and develop content on success stories to share on various communication platforms
- Consult with all staff on communication needs, platforms, and products
- Assist with branding efforts both internally to the Partnership and nationally with the Community Action Network.
- Attend meetings and events on behalf of the Partnership
- Compile Community Action Partnership news coverage for board distribution and follow up on stories to develop ongoing bank of success stories
- Generate story ideas, write and edit articles
- Produce eNewsletters - responsible for both content and design
- Update agency website - responsible for content, graphics, pictures
- Develop and deploy social media content on various platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Instagram
- Produce a Community Action Month Toolkit
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide communications as well as general and administrative support for the annual events.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by the CEO.
Will supervise the Program Assistant, Communications and Branding and, when available, communications and branding interns.
- Four-year Bachelor of Arts or Sciences degree in marketing, public relations, communications, journalism, or a related field of study preferred
- Graphic design and video experience a plus
- Previous experience with a nonprofit organization a plus
- Previous experience with an anti-poverty organization a plus
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Spark as well as Canva (Experience with Adobe Premier Pro or other video editing software a plus)
- Familiarity with Hootsuite or other social media management tools
- Familiarity with using Content Management Systems and HTML
- Candidate must be an exceptional writer who can demonstrate good judgment in communicating professionally and learning the style and tone of a nonprofit organization
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- The noise level in the regular work environment is usually moderate.
- The ability to travel for activities such as meetings, classes, and workshops in and out of the area.
- Must be able to travel by air to attend training, conferences, project sites, and related activities.
- Some overnight, out of state travel is required.
Anyone wishing to apply should submit the following documents to email@example.com:
- Cover letter detailing relevant experience and a strong interest in anti-poverty work
- One writing sample, no more than two pages.
- Applicants may also submit an example of other relevant work they have created.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and the position will remain posted until filled.