OVERVIEW OF RAND
The RAND Corporation is a research organization that develops solutions to public policy challenges to help make communities throughout the world safer and more secure, healthier and more prosperous. RAND’s research and analysis address issues that impact people everywhere, including security, health, education, sustainability, growth, and development. Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, RAND has approximately 1,950 people from more than 50 countries working in offices in North America, Europe and Australia, with annual revenues of more than $345 million.
RAND is nonprofit, nonpartisan, and committed to the public interest. Our research is sponsored by government agencies, international organizations, and foundations. We rely on philanthropic support to pursue visionary ideas; address critical problems that are under-researched; and devise innovative approaches for solving acute, complex, or provocative policy challenges. RAND values objectivity and integrity in both its research processes and internal interactions. We emphasize a collegial environment that respects the contributions and dignity of all staff.
Our Research Administrative Operations department is seeking Administrative Assistants with active security clearances, to perform complex administrative duties using standard policies, procedures and guidelines under limited supervision.
RAND is currently seeking administrative assistants to provide support to research staff. Day-to-day responsibilities include heavy calendaring, scheduling meetings/conference calls, coordinating seminars, domestic and international travel arranging and expense reimbursement, logistical planning, passing clearances, tracking action items and keeping tasks on schedule. Additional responsibilities may include proposal coordination, document preparation, assist with the quality assurance process and preparation and monitoring of budgets. The work involves substantive communications with clients, advisory boards, and related activities. In support of researcher clients, the administrative assistants also assist in substantive communications with clients, advisory boards, and related activities. The AAs also perform as a technical resource within group and/or across department as well as use and integrate complex software applications in managing and completing workload tasks.
These positions require a self-starter with strong technical skills in Microsoft Office; the ability to handle multiple tasks with good judgment; attention to detail and solid organizational skills. There is considerable interaction with sponsors and clients so excellent communication and professionalism is needed. We are seeking candidates who may have experience with collaboration tools. The work is to be done onsite in the RAND Arlington office.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Advanced knowledge of MAC and/or PC platforms, text-processing, presentation, database, and spreadsheet software applications.
- Good oral and written communication skills; ability to initiate ad draft correspondence.
- Demonstrated initiative in developing solutions to meet complex administrative/technical needs of work group.
- Very strong organizational skills required. Ability to exercise tact, courtesy, and judgment in working with all levels of staff.
- Demonstrated team player and effective in role as technical resource.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain equilibrium and focus in a demanding, fast-paced work environment.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 3 years relevant work experience
- 6 to 8 years of relevant work experience preferred
- Must be willing to apply and obtain a U.S. Government security clearance
- Active secret clearance (DoD-issued)
- The ability to obtain a clearance or Fitness in a timely manner is preferred.
- Arlington, VA
Visit us at www.rand.org/jobs for more information and a listing of current job opportunities.
RAND is an Equal Opportunity Employer–minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity