Downtown and Park Coordinator
The City of Falls Church has a new part-time (0 to 19 hrs./week) temporary hourly position available immediately for a Downtown and Park Coordinator to coordinate, manage and program activities for a small area of the City’s downtown (focused on two City blocks near Dogwood Tavern). Hours per week will fluctuate with programs/activities/events. Primary responsibilities will be during the months of April through September. Responsibilities include managing the holiday tree lighting and street pole flower basket programs, and coordinating activities and special events in a small, newly renovated park. Experience with managing event logistics and contracts are a plus. Must be available to work some evenings, weekends and holidays during times when events are scheduled.
Falls Church is an independent city six miles from the nation's capital. It is small in area (2.3 square miles) and population (~14,000). The City is known for its urban village community, quality customer service, nationally ranked school system, environmental activism, and community activities.
- Collaboratively create, plan and implement programs, events and services for the park, for citizens of all ages;
- Work with the City’s purchasing staff to prepare and execute contracts relating to park activities;
- Coordinate with City staff for park maintenance, and other activities;
- Act as Liaison between City and businesses, civic, community and school groups;
- Work with the City’s communications staff to publicize programs and events;
- Prepare reports on activities as needed;
- Maintain expenses, budgets, records and files, and monitor expenditures;
- Experience coordinating and programming recreational activities and public events preferred;
- The candidate should be a self-starter and comfortable in building relationships with business owners, the City and local community groups by coordinating with multiple stakeholders;
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite preferred;
- Graduation from an accredited college or university is preferred;
- Must pass drug screen and background checks and possess valid driver's license and good driving record as a condition of employment;
0 to 19 hours per week, to include occasional work in the evening and on weekends.
This is a part-time temper, hourly position with a maximum number of hours of 19 per week and $22 - $25 per hour (depending on qualifications). No benefits are offered.
Send resume to the City of Falls Church, Human Resources at email@example.com. Or mail it to
300 Park Ave., Falls Church, VA 22046
Applications received before May 31, 2019 will receive priority consideration.
Reasonable Accommodation: During the selection process, applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation with the agreement of the Human Resources Department. Requests should be directed to the Human Resources Department. The City of Falls Church does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or disability.