Director, Middle School Education
The Director of Middle School Education provides leadership, supervision, and support to middle school principals and teaching staffs in the development and execution of instructional plans designed to accomplish the mission and long-term objectives established by the School District.The following information is intended to describe the overall nature and scope of the work being performed in relation to the position. This is not a comprehensive listing of all responsibilities or tasks; other work may be assigned when deemed appropriate:
• Works with the Assistant Superintendent and the Department of Instruction to coordinate the instructional program in grades 6-8 across all middle schools; monitors and evaluates the middle school instructional program; recommends needed changes in the middle instructional program; assists in the articulation of the K-12 instructional program.
• Coordinates and supervises the work of all middle schools; recommends staffing for all middle schools; prepares and administers the budget for per pupil allotments for middle school instructional materials.
• Keeps middle school teachers and administrators abreast of educational trends and programs for middle schools; provides professional development and support to middle school leadership.
• Coaches and supports principals as they provide management and leadership for their schools in fulfillment of the LCPS mission and strategic goals; assists the middle school principals in the development of school improvement plans and meets with the principals to monitor their progress toward these objectives.
• Collaborates with middle school principals in the hiring of and building capacity in middle level leadership.
• Evaluates middle school principals and provides direction regarding this assessment of their performance and accomplishments.
• Plans and implements the Summer School Program. • Master's Degree and a Postgraduate Professional License with an endorsement as a secondary principal required
• Seven years of progressive overall education experience in teaching, supervision, administration, with a minimum of three years focused on middle school administration
• Demonstrated experience in developing and tracking budgets
• Knowledge of state and federal statutes, regulations, and rules relating to instruction, curriculum, student learning and ability to advise interested parties of the provisions of the laws
• Ability to keep and maintain accurate records and to meet deadlines
• Possesses strong organizational skills and interpersonal skills
• Ability to communicate with individuals of varied cultural and educational backgrounds
• Demonstrate the leadership qualities and personal characteristics necessary for working effectively with administrators and teachers