25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
- Law enforcement availability pay (LEAP): in the amount of 25% has been approved for this position.
- Possess uncorrected visual acuity of no worse than 20/100 binocular. Possess corrected visual acuity of 20/20 or better in each eye. (Note: Lasik, ALK, RK, and PRK corrective eye surgeries are acceptable eye surgeries for Special Agent applicants. Applicants will be considered eligible for the Special Agent position provided specific visual tests are passed. The following are waiting periods for visua tests: Lasik-3 months after surgery, PRK-6 months after surgery, and ALK and RK-one year after surgery).
- Hearing loss, as measured by an audiometer, must not exceed 30 decibels (A.S.A. or equivalent I.S.O.) in either ear in the 500, 1000,and 2000 Hz ranges.
- Be less than age 37 at the time you receive a conditional offer of employment, unless you have previous service in a Federal Civilian Law Enforcement position covered by special law enforcement or firefighter retirement provisions, including early or mandatory retirement. Applicants with veteran's preference must receive a conditional offer of employment prior to reaching age 40 to continue in the application process.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position. Disclose any prior drug use, attempted use, and/or experimentation.
- Carry and use a firearm. Maintaining firearm proficiency is mandatory. You will be ineligible to occupy this position if at any time you have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, unless you received a pardon or your conviction was expunged or set aside.
- While Training, selectees will be partnered with an experienced Criminal Investigator for on the job training (OJT) before and after completing 12 weeks of intensive training at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) in Glynco, GA. Failure to pass the training program may result in termination from federal service.
For the GS-11 Grade Level: Applicants must have one year of experience at the GL-9 level (or equivalent) performing intermediate planning and conducting intermediate investigations of allegations of suspected violations of criminal statutes; performing intermediate investigation in health care fraud of health insurance programs such as the FEHBP, MEDICARE, MEDICAID, TRICARE or private health insurance programs, retirement fraud in Federal retirement programs or computer crimes; interviewing witnesses; and preparing written reports. OR Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or three full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree OR An equivalent combination of specialized experience and graduate level education.
For the GS-12 Grade Level: Applicants must meet the basic requirement listed above, AND have one year of experience at the GS-11 level (or equivalent) performing advanced planning and conducting advanced investigations of allegations of suspected violations of criminal statutes; advanced investigations health care fraud in health insurance programs such as the FEHBP, MEDICARE, MEDICAID, TRICARE or private health insurance programs, retirement fraud in Federal retirement programs or computer crimes; interviewing witnesses; and preparing written reports.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Relocation expenses will not be paid.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional similar vacancies across OPM.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information
If you are a veteran and you are claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility.
If you are a veteran and you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans' preference click here.
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https://www.sss.gov/Home/Registration).
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
For Category Rating: Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of the three quality categories: Qualified, Well Qualified, or Best Qualified. Qualified Category = Does not exceed the basic qualifications requirements described in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement. Well Qualified Category = Meets the basic qualifications requirements described in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement and demonstrates proficiency in the Critical Competencies defined below. (This category must be met to be considered under ICTAP procedures) Best Qualified Category = Meets the basic qualifications requirements described in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement and excels in the Critical Competencies defined below. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Criminal Investigation
- Criminal Law
- Problem Solving
- Quality Ranking Factor
- Technical Competence
- Written Communication
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three," but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligible within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent or higher will be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-09 level or higher).
Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 80 or above based on the competencies listed above; and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information visit: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp. Read more Security clearance Top Secret Drug test required Yes Position sensitivity and risk Critical-Sensitive (CS)/High Risk Trust determination process National security