Assistant Director of Federal Relations
The National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) advocates for public policies that increase student access and success; provides professional development and services for financial aid administrators; serves as a forum on student financial aid issues, and is committed to diversity throughout all activities. The Association seeks to hire an Assistant Director of Federal Relations with experience and skills in public policy and advocacy to become a member of the Policy & Federal Relations team. The person selected will operate in a fast-paced environment and will manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
The Assistant Director of Federal Relations will work closely with all members of the Policy & Federal Relations team and report to the Vice President for Policy & Federal Relations.
- Develop advocacy materials, including letters to Congress, position statements, and one-pagers
- Develop strategies to increase outreach and establish relationships with congressional staff, particularly non-education committee staff whose members have an interest in higher education policy
- Work to enhance NASFAA’s position as a trusted name in financial aid policy
- Enhance the advocacy capacity of NASFAA members
- Plan and execute NASFAA’s monthly Advocacy Pipeline program
- Represent NASFAA before congressional members, congressional staff and federal agencies, as needed.
- Assist in the development and recommendation of public policy positions on current and proposed legislation and regulation
- Represent NASFAA within coalitions and partnerships, such the Committee for Education Funding and Student Aid Alliance
- Assist in the planning and organization of NASFAA sponsored policy forums and events
- Analyze, interpret, and write about current and pending legislation and/or regulations
- Attend and report on legislative hearings and events
- Contribute original content to NASFAA publications including Today's News, the National Student Aid Profile, and policy issue papers
- Enhance online advocacy tools and resources for NASFAA members
- Present on behalf of NASFAA at national and regional conferences
- Supervise Dallas Martin Endowment Policy Intern
- Other duties as assigned
- 2-3 years experience in higher education policy or government relations and/or experience in an aid office
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Excellent, and proven, research, writing, and organizational skills
- Strong understanding of federal legislative processes required
- Experience managing multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work in a high energy, fast-paced team environment
- Requires a 4-year degree or higher, with preference given to educational focus on public policy, political science, government, and/or education policy.
Salary: $65,000-$75,000 depending on experience and qualifications. This is a full-time, exempt position based in Washington, D.C. NASFAA offers excellent benefits, including employee paid health insurance and a contributory retirement savings plan. Interested applications should apply online through the link below by May 20, 2019. Principals, only. No phone calls, please.
NASFAA is a nonprofit membership association that represents more than 28,000 financial aid professionals at nearly 3,000 colleges, universities, and career schools across the country. NASFAA member institutions serve nine out of every ten undergraduates in the U.S. Based in Washington, D.C., NASFAA is the only national association with a primary focus on student aid legislation, regulatory analysis, and training for financial aid administrators. At NASFAA, we strive to attract and retain a diverse and talented workforce that will contribute to the association’s goals, mission and vision. It is NASFAA’s policy not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because he or she is an individual with a disability or has veteran status. NASFAA will provide reasonable accommodations to employees whose ability to perform their job is affected by pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions. NASFAA is an equal opportunity employer.