Economic Director of Enforcement
6 days left
- Full Time
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
To be considered for this position, applicants must demonstrate ALL qualifications as identified below:
A. BASIC REQUIREMENT - Applicants must meet the requirements specified in paragraphs 1 or 2 below.
- Possess a degree in economics that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting or calculus; OR
- have a combination of education and experience, with courses equivalent to a major in economics, as stated above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
- Possess substantive general experience that provides advanced knowledge and application of the principles and techniques involved in professional economic research, investigation, and analyses of antitrust enforcement.
- Possess substantive specialized experience analyzing effects of horizontal or vertical mergers; analyzing business practices for their propensity to create or protect market power; weighing an econometric analysis against a rebuttal presented by another economist; determining what factors explain the differences in results of competing economic analysis; determining the reliability of econometric evidence based on appropriateness and limitations of data or methodology used, and the viability of the underlying economic model given other evidence.
Please Note: A background Investigation and drug testing are required if selected. You will be evaluated on all of the following Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs):
MTQ1: Experience in the economic aspects of investigation and litigation of possible violations and Federal antitrust laws and the competitive impacts of government regulation.
MTQ2: Ability to formulate and implement economic policies on competition and litigation matters.
MTQ3: Experience and expertise in applying economic analysis to antitrust enforcement.
MTQ4: Ability to serve as spokesperson for a competition agency.
You will also be evaluated on all of the following Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs):
ECQ1: LEADING CHANGE - This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
Leadership Competencies: Creativity and Innovation, External Awareness, Flexibility, Resilience, Strategic Thinking, and Vision.
ECQ2: LEADING PEOPLE - This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting an organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, supports employee diversity, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
Leadership Competencies: Conflict Management, Leveraging Diversity, Developing Others, and Team Building.
ECQ3: RESULTS DRIVEN - This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high- quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
Leadership Competencies: Accountability, Customer Service, Decisiveness, Entrepreneurship, Problem Solving, and Technical Credibility.
ECQ4: BUSINESS ACUMEN - This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
Leadership Competencies: Financial Management, Human Capital Management, and Technology Management.
ECQ5: BUILDING COALITIONS - This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
Leadership Competencies: Partnering, Political Savvy, and Influencing/Negotiating.
Fundamental Competencies: These competencies are the foundation for success in each of the Executive Core Qualifications: Interpersonal Skills, Oral Communication, Integrity/Honesty, Written Communication, Continual Learning, and Public Service Motivation.If a separate statement addressing the ECQs and MTQs is not submitted, the applicant will not receive consideration for this position.
See the BASIC REQUIREMENT (paragraph A) in the Conditions of Employment section. Applicants must possess a degree in economics that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting or calculus; OR have a combination of education and experience, with courses equivalent to a major in economics, as stated above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Applicants using any education to qualify MUST submit copies of college transcripts or a list of college courses taken that identify for each course the college or university, semester or quarter hours earned, grade and grade-point received. An unofficial transcript is acceptable to qualify, however, it must include your full name. If selected, you may be asked to submit an official transcript prior to appointment.
- Selectee will be required to file a financial disclosure statement in accordance with the Ethics in Government Act of 1978.
- The Executive Core Qualifications of the selectee who is not a current or former member of the Senior Executive Service (SES) must be approved by OPM before appointment. In addition, individuals entering the SES for the first time are subject to a one-year probationary period.
- Applicants who have completed the Candidate Development Program (CDP) and have had their ECQs certified by OPM must provide a copy of their certificate as part of their application.
- Relocation expenses are not authorized.
- All applicants selected for this position will be required to submit to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment.
- Employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background investigation adjudicated by the Department of Justice.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service System, or be exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law.
- All Federal employees are required by PL 104-134 to have federal payments made by Direct Deposit.
- The Antitrust Division participates in the E-Verify program.
- Veterans preference is not applicable to the SES.
- The position requires that the incumbent participate in occasional travel, both domestic and international.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is required by law to review the executive qualifications of each new career appointee to the Senior Executive Service (SES) prior to appointment. To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a written statement addressing the five (5) Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs), and four (4) Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs) listed above (see 'Qualifications' section).
You will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required and the extent to which your application shows that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with this position as defined below. When describing your knowledge, skills, and abilities, please be sure to give examples and explain how often you used these skills, the complexity of the knowledge you possessed, the level of the people with whom you interacted, the sensitivity of the issues you handled, etc.
Current or former career Senior Executive Service (SES) employees are not required to address the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs). Unless you are currently serving under a career SES appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into the SES, or have successfully completed an SES Career Development Program approved by OPM, you must submit a narrative statement covering each of the Executive Core Qualifications and Mandatory Technical Qualifications to receive consideration for the position.
When responding to the Mandatory Technical Qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications, you must clearly show that you possess the experience, knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of this position by submitting narrative responses in which you detail your experience in each of the Technical and Executive Core Qualifications. Your examples of experience, education, and accomplishments applicable to the qualifications, should be clear and emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope, and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments with results of your actions, policy initiatives, and level of contacts. Please limit the narrative statements for each Executive Core and Technical Qualification to no more than two pages and not more than ten (10) pages total.
Copies of the Office of Personnel Management's "Guide to Senior Executive Service Qualifications" may be obtained via the Internet at http://www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2012.pdf.
See "Qualifications" section to the view MTQs and ECQs upon which you will be evaluated.