Dispatcher, Safety & Security (Part-time)
The Dispatcher is a responsible position in the LCPS Security Operations Center. The LCPS Security Operations Center is
operational 24-hours a day, 365 days a year. An employee in this position works as a team member with other
dispatchers to fulfill the communications needs of LCPS and other County agencies. Such employees are responsible for
all communications functions for school emergencies, burglar alarms, fire alarms, as well as after hour maintenance
calls. This position is technical and routinely interacts with other employees, agencies, and citizens. Independent
judgment is often used within established procedures. This position handles school emergency calls to LCPS Safety and
Security, fire, rescue, and police.
the position. This is not a comprehensive listing of all responsibilities or tasks; other work may be assigned when deemed
* Responds to calls for services by telephone and radio communication about emergencies, facility hazards,
accidents, and other incidents that involve LCPS property, personnel, students, and alerts initiated through
automated monitoring of LCPS's cyber assets.
* Maintains online operations status board to keep patrols, supervisors, and responders aware of on-going
incidents, threats, notices, and alerts.
* Maintains shift log, to include but not limited to: emergency calls, alarm activations, patrol activities, law
enforcement requests for information, incidents involving LCPS property, personnel, students, and alerts
initiated through automated monitoring of LCPS's cyber assets.
* Monitors security cameras during emergency calls, alarms, special events, and requests for assistance.
Below are the qualifications for this position:
* High school diploma or GED required
* Prior experience or training involving telecommunications, or an equivalent combination of education, training,
and experience is recommended, but not required
* Proven self-starter, dependability, punctuality, and trustworthiness
* Ability to obtain computer proficiency, including typing, and knowledge of or ability to learn
* Ability to obtain and relay accurate information; and work well under pressure during emergency related
* Excellent human relations, organizational and communication skills, patience, tact, and sound judgment
* Ability to prioritize and complete multiple time-critical tasks and to function calmly and efficiently under
* Excellent written and oral communications skills (English), good interpersonal skills, including the ability to
communicate to security patrol officers, emergency responders, school staff, and the public
The following provides a brief description of physical requirements for this position:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly talking. expressing or exchanging ideas by means of
the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers
accurately, loudly, or quickly. The employee must possess normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall
and apply certain practices and policies. Frequently sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position for long periods of
time. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift,
carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.