We are the oldest and largest global professional membership organization representing the field of endocrinology. Our members come from 122 countries, with 40 percent living outside the United States. We are unique in that our members are not only on the frontier of breakthrough research discoveries, but they also apply this knowledge in the treatment of patients with hundreds of debilitating hormone-related diseases and conditions.
We are looking for a Director, Membership to help our members reach their potential and our Society to fulfill its mission of unraveling the mysteries of endocrine/hormonal conditions to eradicate diseases like diabetes and breast cancer. Under the guidance of the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, the Director, Membership will create and operationalize the Society’s membership recruitment and retention strategies by working in cross-functional teams and providing insightful business intelligence leveraged from the team’s member interactions. You will serve as a member-focused and results-driven leader to expand the capacity of the Member Services team and advocate for members and member benefits, products, and services across the Society.
What you’ll bring to the job:
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of seven years of membership/membership marketing experience.
- A results-based track record of membership growth, retention, and implementing creative membership/marketing campaigns.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated capacity to develop and implement practical strategies, plans, and solutions to identified issues and problems.
- Proven ability to assimilate information gathered through research and consultations, to apply that information in creative and cross-cutting ways, and to synthesize appropriate strategies and responses.
- Experience within association environment, preferably in science and health areas.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Track record of taking initiative in managing competing organizational and departmental priorities and to work effectively under pressure when facing deadlines.
- Ability to thrive and be a leader on cross-functional teams.
- Working with and building comradery within a diverse team.
We believe in and empower our staff. We know that with our investment in their growth, they have an even greater potential to contribute to our organization. Our core values embody the character and culture of our staff – they guide our decision making, interactions and how we serve our members. As an organization, we are committed to: demonstrating responsible stewardship, treating one another with trust and mutual respect, supporting work life balance, sustaining an inclusive environment, and fostering an environment that encompasses communication, service, collaboration, results & innovation.
What you’ll own:
- Develop and implement innovative membership recruitment and retention strategies for growth and to meet budget goals.
- Contribute key insight and knowledge to the Society’s competitive/business intelligence efforts to make data-driven decisions that benefit our members and the profession.
- Manage successful execution of membership development projects including ongoing enhancement of all membership communications/materials.
- Collaborate with marketing, communications and media relations team to use social media to support retention/recruitment efforts and to deliver value to members and customers.
- Develop and implement cross-departmental strategy for presence at external meetings.
- Manage all market research activities related to membership including conducting member/customer satisfaction surveys.
- Hires, supervises and coaches member services team. Fosters an environment of collaboration within the team and across the organization to achieve a high level of staff performance. Carefully monitors workflow and adjusts as necessary to minimize backlogs.
- Formulates best practice policies for customer service and data entry management. Works with appropriate staff to ensure collected data is organized in the most appropriate manner for its use in other applications, such as list selections. Routinely tests and audits accuracy of data.
- Oversees the management of product inventory for Endo (annual meeting) and two Clinical Endocrinology Update (CEU) meetings.
- Assist member services staff in troubleshooting customer service issues to ensure effective and long-term problem resolution.
- Oversees all aspects of batch processing for financial transactions recorded in the AMS.
- Create and manage annual membership department budget.
- Lead all activities related to annual meeting membership booth including promotion, staffing, material, shipment, and training of staff.
- Occasional travel and weekend work.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you’ll do well:
- Provide sound inquiry and analysis to make recommendations and decisions. Demonstrate the ability to identify problems, synthesize, evaluate, and make appropriate decisions and/or recommendations for level of job. Demonstrate the ability to weigh pros/cons and cost benefit of decisions. Use sound judgment in decision-making. Exercise timeliness in making decisions. Takes appropriate actions to correct ineffective decisions.
- Effectively manage and guide group efforts. Provide appropriate level of feedback concerning group progress. Collaborate and partner within and beyond ones’ team and builds proactive relationships. Recognize and reward people for their achievements. Acknowledge and thank people for their contributions. Express pride in the group and encourages people to feel good about their accomplishments. Be sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with members by listening, understanding and responding to identified needs. Respond to member/leadership/community needs; actively promote positive relationships with the membership and other groups (committees, leadership, stakeholders, etc.). Exhibit high level of customer service and identifies ways to improve service procedures/levels within own position. Respond and follow-through on internal and external requests.
- Look at situations from multiple perspectives. Do or create something new. Create solutions to problems using novel methods and processes. As a contributor, develop a new product, service, method, or approach. Sponsor the development of new products, services, methods, or procedures. Propose new approaches, methods, or techniques. Develop better, faster, or less expensive ways to do things. Work cooperatively with others to produce innovative solutions.
- Delegate responsibility. Work with and coach staff to develop their capabilities. Provide helpful, timely feedback, and provide new opportunities that will help develop their abilities. Responsible for hiring staff, delegating tasks, conducting coaching sessions and providing constructive, timely feedback that enhances career development.
- Overall concern for the developmental level of an individual, a group of peers or employees. Clarify responsibilities, authority and expectations. Provide timely guidance and feedback to help staff accomplish a task or solve a problem. Provide guidance in how to strengthen knowledge, skills and competencies to improve personal and organizational performance.
What you’ll get out of it:
- Working with a staff that has passion for our mission, believes in one another and has fun.
- The chance to work in an environment that empowers staff to take informed risks and create new programs and services.
- A chance to make a contribution in a fun job with room to make it your own.
- A strong and competitive salary and benefits package that focuses on your well-being and financial health.
Endocrine Society offers a convenient downtown DC location within walking distance of Farragut North/Farragut West and Foggy Bottom Metro stations. Qualified candidates interested in a purposeful work environment, competitive salaries and excellent benefits, including a generous TIAA- CREF retirement plan with 10% employer contribution, submit resume and cover letter with salary requirements.