Director of Digital Communications
The purpose of this position is to strategically plan for and continuously develop and direct ASHA's digital services and platforms to meet current needs and anticipate future needs of members, consumers, and others interested in communication sciences and disorders. In doing so, the incumbent will ensure ongoing timely and cost-effective maintenance of digital services and monitor technology changes so that ASHA's digital products and programs utilize current state-of-the-art technology. Incumbent will ensure that basic principles of knowledge management and content strategy are incorporated into all digital projects for the benefit of ASHA’s constituents and staff and will advocate for their use in other ASHA programs.
- In collaboration with various cluster leaders at ASHA, this position shares responsibility for planning and implementing a well-coordinated internal and external communications program for ASHA's various audiences, with facilitation and oversight as needed by the CSO for Communications. Success is enhanced by sharing resources and expertise, and encouraging individual staff and teams to actively pursue opportunities for cooperation/collaboration within the National Office.
- Responsible for planning and maintaining an annual budget for Digital Communications team operations.
- Lead the development and internal promotion of basic knowledge management principles and practices that will provide access to ASHA’s knowledge and information resources to members and staff.
- Take the lead in developing and implementing strategic plans for ASHA’s digital services by researching, recommending, and helping implement new applications. Includes consulting with National Office groups and volunteer leaders to assess needs and develop plans.
- Work in conjunction with IS, OBE, and other staff as necessary to develop technical specifications for digital projects and support the ASHA Project Portfolio. Manage these projects in conjunction with IS Director and OBE Director.
- Coach Digital Communications staff and work to foster the professional development of staff throughout the team.
- Liaison/ collaborate effectively with all clusters and business owners of the National Office in order to effectively plan and support online services related to their goals and objectives.
- Oversee all aspects of digital tool/platform development and maintenance, including:
- ASHA.org and the ecosystem of websites, with brand compliance, optimal user experience, and logical information architecture;
- ASHA email communications to members and related professionals, including strategy and maintenance of email calendar association-wide
- Maintenance and support of online collaboration tools for key volunteer groups such as Board of Directors, FPB, etc. to facilitate their work in a distributed, asynchronous, and mobile environment.
- ASHA social media strategy and outreach efforts to members, related professionals, and consumers.
- Enterprise-wide Content Strategy, to co-ordinate content and messaging distribution across the organization
Knowledge typically acquired through:
- A college education with a bachelor's degree. Because this position requires both communication and technical skills, either a BA in a communications field or a BS in computer science is preferable. Depending on the initial degree, additional knowledge acquired through post college courses, workshops, and/or work experience in computer or communications skills will be necessary.
- At least 6-10 years of experience in a similar position.
- At least 4 years of experience supervising a large group or team
Scope and depth of technical skills/knowledge:
- Advanced understanding of HTML and CSS with a focus on accessible and standards-based design
- Advanced understanding of user experience standards and best practices
- Some knowledge of using ASP.NET to build database driven Web applications
- Requirements for digital graphics/media, web accessibility standards, and security standards, and the programs needed to create them
- In depth experience managing large web sites with a content management system
- Experience using Microsoft SharePoint and MS Teams as an intranet and/or extranet platform
- E-mail marketing, social media, content development, and online community strategy experience
Scope and depth of non-technical skills/knowledge:
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, project management skills, and collaborative/relationship building skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Critical, yet enthusiastic eye for the potential of digital communication solutions
- Basic Team Facilitation and Coaching Skills