Welcome Center Liaison
This is a specialized secretarial and administrative support position responsible for reviewing EL Eligibility requests,
obtaining EL transfer records from other divisions, scheduling Welcome Center appointments, overseeing completion
and transmittal of EL Documents folders, and liaising between the school, Welcome Center and families. Employees in
these positions exercise considerable initiative and discretion, relieving staff of administrative details, often speaking for
or representing the Welcome Center on matters within their areas of responsibility. The work requires highly developed
office skills in computer/software operation, communications, accounts maintenance procedures, and office
* Reviews EL Eligibility requests, assigns a status (action to be taken) and assists with monitoring the EL Program Student Records Application.
* Organizes and implements efficient office systems and procedures; sets up and maintains department filing and record keeping systems; institutes tracking and control procedures to ensure matters are handled expeditiously.
* Collaborates with Welcome Center Assessor to obtain EL transfer records from other divisions and respond to records requests from other divisions.
* Responds to inquiries from school staffs, central offices, parents, and outside organizations regarding Welcome Center activities, responding to matters within areas of authority and explaining procedures and requirements to callers; ensures that informational, program, and administrative communications are disseminated to schools, other central office departments, and other organizations as necessary.
* Schedules Welcome Center appointments, and coordinates with Welcome Center staff as well as other staff to include the Office of Assessment to ensure all necessary and appropriate information/resources are in place for a successful appointment.
* Ensures proper completion of EL Documents folders, mailing of initial parent notification letters, and transmittal of EL Documents folders to student's home school.
* Maintains databases containing program data, entering, editing, and correcting data as necessary; produces
reports, lists, summaries, and other documents from databases. As necessary, creates databases using
spreadsheet or database software; posts and maintains program accounts, entering data from financial
transaction documents into computerized accounting spreadsheets or systems; monitors accounts and advises
supervisors of account status; compiles lists, summaries, and other financial information as requested.
* Serves as a liaison between family, school, and Welcome Center to ensure all parties have the necessary
information to make an EL eligibility determination and that all necessary stakeholders are informed of the EL
* Maintains logs, appointment schedules, calendars, bulletin boards, reference files/materials, and other office
Below are the qualifications for this position:
* High School diploma or GED required; Bachelor's degree preferred
* Two years of college experience required
* Possesses strong oral and written communications skills and effective interpersonal skills to work with parents as well as school and community agency personnel
* Ability to maintain confidentiality and demonstrate good judgment, tact, and courtesy
* Demonstrates ability to use Microsoft Office Suite to include Excel, Word, and PowerPoint and knowledge of Student Information Systems (SIS) and data record keeping
* Bilingual skills required, Spanish preferred
* Demonstrates strong organizational skills
The following provides a brief description of physical requirements for this position:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly talking. expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. The employee must possess normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall and apply certain practices and policies. Frequently sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.