Writer/Editor (Communications Associate)
I. POSITION PURPOSE
This position serves a writing/editorial function and is responsible for telling the UE story and helping UE members manage risk by overseeing the production of multimedia risk management and content marketing resources. The intent is to ensure high-quality, engaging, and accurate resources which demonstrate our brand promise. These resources should drive value for our higher ed and K-12 school members, prospective members, brokers, and UE employees.
For content marketing purposes, this involves managing the end-to-end process from story conception, to assignment/writing, editing, proofreading, managing the review and graphic design processes, and publishing.
For risk management resources, this involves editing, proofreading, managing the graphic design process, and publishing, as well as collaborating with the risk management staff.
In addition, this position consults with UE staff from all departments on effective communications, offering recommendations and solutions as needed. Acts as coach or mentor as opportunities arise.
II. MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills; excellent knowledge of grammar and punctuation
- Experience in working with editorial style guides; AP preferred
- Resourceful self-starter excited to take initiative and drive projects forward
- Proven project management skills with experience creating and managing project plans that document tasks and milestones
- Experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously. Continuously assessing priorities as business conditions change and new projects are identified
- Experience in managing freelancers as an additional resource to ensure department capacity to meet company needs
- Adept at setting and managing expectations with all stakeholders
- Comfortable leading collaborative projects, and soliciting and appropriately responding to input from multiple parties
- Ability to proactively identify and address potential obstacles and concerns
- Bachelor’s degree and five years or more of experience
- Proficiency in Word
- Ability to thrive in an atmosphere of constant change
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as the primary point of contact for editorial and publishing needs from the Risk Management Department, providing guidance, editorial review, and production of materials. Develop and adhere to schedules and provide status to stakeholders throughout the process
- Identify, hire, and manage external resources for researching, writing, editing, proofreading, or other tasks as needed to augment department capacity
- Manage production of print and electronic materials from concept to publication
- Develop and manage content marketing programs and risk management resources with a goal of maximizing the exposure of UE brands in the market
- Collaborate with graphic designer to ensure that content is appropriately and accurately represented and accurately conveys the brand
- Manage the review process, make necessary revisions, and work with graphic designer and website content lead on layout and final production
- Manage and evaluate outreach efforts for our broker audience including emails, marketing materials and advertising while ensuring alignment with the overall strategy and deadlines
- Serve as a resource for editing UE online content, newsletters, marketing collateral, and other resources as needed
- Provide direct assistance to UE staff as requests or assignments arise or identify the appropriate resource
- Effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously, keeping key stakeholders apprised of priorities and schedules
- Other duties as assigned