Education Director - Autism Program
The Foundation Schools is a special education day school which delivers innovative school programs and support services for children and adolescents with emotional disabilities, autism spectrum disorders and other learning challenges. The Foundation Schools is accepting resumes for a Education Director for our autism program. This position starts July 1, 2019 and is a 12-month position.
The mission of The Foundation Schools is to provide a highly specialized educational and therapeutic program for students with emotional and other disabilities and social emotional and learning challenges, preparing them to be productive and successful in their future academic and career paths. We are seeking qualified teachers to provide our students with the tools and guidance they need to be successful.
For over 40 years, The Foundation Schools’ mix of academic support and therapeutic services has given our students a chance to reach their full potential. The Foundation Schools is currently approved by the State of Maryland and the District of Columbia to provide services to students who have not been successful in their home school’s environment. The Foundation Schools has schools in Gaithersburg, Largo, and Landover Maryland that serve over 200 students in grades K-12.
Our Core Values’ provide a strong foundation for our programs, are integrated into our positive behavior intervention system, drive our actions and guide our staff and students daily to TWIRL (Teamwork, Work Ethic, Integrity, Respect, and Leadership). We offer a supportive working environment with small class sizes and excellent resources.
The Foundation Schools offers a comprehensive benefit package including tuition assistance and a generous retirement package. Visit our website at www.foundationschools.org for more information.
The Education Director oversees the instructional program by ensuring grade level curriculum is implemented, teaching strategies are modified to meet students IEPs and individual needs, and appropriate classroom management strategies are utilized. They supervise the teachers and assigned staff by providing observation, supervision, and feedback to enhance the effectiveness of the instructional program. They maintain a knowledge base of the local school systems current instructional and graduation requirements, and adapt the instructional program to match those requirements. The Education Director works closely with members of the management team to oversee daily operations of the school program.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Monitor the daily functions of the entire program and all staff
- Assist with overall program development and supervision
- Establish expectations for teachers on standards for classroom structure, instructional lessons, and classroom management; supervise, coach, and counsel teachers on performance expectations
- Ensure teachers utilize a variety of instructional methods, adapt the curriculum to meet individual needs and ensure IEP accommodations are provided
- Conduct regularly scheduled program meetings, supervision sessions, and instruction based professional development for staff to enhance their effectiveness in the program; report to management team areas of concern
- Review student files to ensure documents that are required according to Foundation School policy and state and district regulations are appropriately completed and filed (IEP, Clinical and behavioral related documents)
- Conduct IEP Meetings
- Ensure teachers are effectively communicating with parents/guardians about students’ academic and behavior progress and reporting other issues as needed
- Ensure appropriate administrative communication is sent to parents/guardians in a timely manner
- Develop and facilitate the behavior management protocol
- Provide direction to staff during crisis and non-crisis situations to assist staff with improving behavior management skills and decision making skills; manage the need for additional staff in crisis situations and direct staff back to other duties when appropriate; facilitate debriefing sessions with staff to review incidents and identify people responsible for completing required documentation
- Conduct and maintain documentation on observations of assigned staff to evaluate staff’s knowledge, skills, and abilities, and to monitor program quality; meet with staff to discuss observations and develop performance improvement plans as necessary
- Demonstrate knowledge of current special education laws and regulations including IDEA, FERPA, COMAR, and DCMR; monitor staff compliance with laws and regulations
- Work with other members of the management team and school staff, to determine the student and/or program needs and adjust interventions and practices, to best meet those needs; work with team to develop interventions and/or incentive plans when appropriate
- Contribute to the development, implementation, and monitoring of the school’s annual goals.
- Assist with the interviewing, hiring, supervision, coaching, progressive counseling, and termination process for teachers and other assigned support staff; complete performance evaluations and individual goal creation for assigned staff
Education, Experience and Certification Requirements:
- Master’s degree or higher in special education or related field is required
- MSDE Advanced Professional certification or eligibility for MSDE Advanced Professional certification in special education or administration
- Five or more years of experience in an education setting working with students on the autism spectrum is preferred
- Certified Autism Specialist (CAS) certification preferred
- Experience with program development is preferred
- Understanding and experience using the principles of Applied Behavior Analysis
- Knowledge of IDEA and its specific applications to educating students with special education needs, autism spectrum disorders and other disabilities as well as students who demonstrate social emotional difficulties
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Knowledge of curriculum and curriculum adaptations for students with disabilities
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) abilities are a plus