Personnel Security Specialist
Occasional travel - one (1) to five (5) nights per month
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector or volunteer service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. Be sure all experience is documented in your resume by indicating place of employment, job title, length of time performing the duties, and the name and contact information for the supervisor. We must be able to verify this experience in your resume in order for you to receive credit.
You must meet the following requirements within 14 days of the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized experience: For the GS-09, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service.
Specialized experience for this position is experience applying personnel security rules, regulations, policies, and practices in order to gather facts, draw conclusions and/or recommend solutions to problems. Examples of this experience may include:
- conveying technical personnel security information orally and/or in writing to co-workers and/or customers; OR
- interpreting personnel security resources such as laws, regulations and policies and applying the appropriate guidelines to resolve issues; OR
- applying personnel security methods and regulations for suitability determinations OR
- utilizing federal investigation process programs and/or systems.
OR You may substitute education for general or specialized experience as follows:
Master's or equivalent graduate degree
2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree
LL.B. or J.D., if related
Specialized experience: For the GS-07, is one year of experience at the GS-05 grade level, or equivalent in other public or private sectors, that is directly related to the position and which has equipped the candidate with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Specialized experience for this position is experience applying rules, regulations, policies, and/or standard procedures in order to assist with processes, programs and/or systems. Examples of this experience may include:
- gathering and compiling information, data, facts, etc. to assist with current processes and/or proposed recommendations; OR
- conveying information orally and/or in writing to assist co-workers and/or customers with processes and/or completing required forms; OR
- reviewing forms, reports, and/or data for accuracy and completeness and reporting results in writing.
OR You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows:
1 full year of graduate level education or have a bachelor's degree and meet one of the following requirements for superior academic achievement: A GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all completed undergraduate courses or those completed in the last 2 years of study, or a GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all courses in the major field of study or those courses in the major completed in the last 2 years of study, or rank in the upper one third of the class in the college, university, or major subdivision, or membership in a national honor society recognized by the Association of College Honor Societies.
OR For both grades you may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions. To combine education and experience, the total percentage of experience at the required grade level compared to the requirement, as well as the percentage of completed education compared to the requirement must equal at least 100 percent.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following time-in-grade requirement, if applicable:
For the GS-09, you must have been at the GS-07 level for 52 weeks.
For the GS-07, you must have been at the GS-05 level for 52 weeks.
The education generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your résumé may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Technical, Analytical, and Communication. Your application will be rated and ranked among others, based on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position. A subject matter expert may be used in the evaluation. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)) you must receive a score of 85.0 or better to be rated as “well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Secret Drug test required Yes