Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position to attend meetings and/or training.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- Any individual who is currently holding, or has held within the previous 52 weeks, a General Schedule position under non-temporary appointment in the competitive or excepted service, must meet time-in-grade requirements (must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade or equivalent in the Federal service). Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
- You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid State issued driver's license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle. You will also submit a photocopy of your valid State issued driver's license prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year, or more frequently if management determines such need exists. Lastly, you may be required to submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that discloses all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. Please indicate in your application whether you possess a valid State driver's license.
- You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided.
- You may be required to work on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and shift work.
- If you are a new employee or supervisor in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period.
- You may be required to complete training and obtain/maintain a government charge card with travel and/or purchase authority.
Degree: museum work; or in an applicable subject-matter field.
Combination of education and experience -- courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Four years of experience that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4-year course of study as shown above.
In addition to the basic requirements you must meet the specialized experience requirements:
Experience: One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to successfully perform the duties of this position. Examples of specialized experience are: providing direction over extensive museum collections and carrying out responsibilities in the four museum functions: collections, exhibits, research, and education. Experience may include collections management (in the areas of archeology, ethnology, history, archives, biology, geology, and paleontology), registration and cataloging; research, preservation, and restoration; or conservation of collections of museum material, or other experience related to this position.
Education: 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree.
Combination Education/Experience: An equivalent combination of education and experience. For example, six months of specialized experience (50% of the experience requirement), and 18 semester hours or 27 quarter hours of directly-related graduate level education in an accredited educational institution (50% of the qualifying education).
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
You must include months, years and hours per week worked to receive credit for your work and/or volunteer experience. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. You will not receive any credit for experience that does not indicate exact hours per week or is listed as "varies".
To qualify based on education, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Transcripts do not need to be official, but if you are selected for this position and you used your education to qualify, you must provide official transcripts before you begin work.
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet qualification requirements, you must show that your education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.
This announcement may be used to fill additional positions if identical vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.
This is a Career-Seasonal position and is subject to release and recall procedures. A permanent career-seasonal position includes all the benefits of permanent employment, but does not provide employment on a full year-round basis. The selectee is guaranteed to work at least 6 months per year but not more than 50 weeks per year. As such, selectee will be in a non-pay/non-duty status from October 1st through October 14 and April 1st through April 14th per year based on project requirements or weather conditions.
Physical Demands: The work requires mental alertness, better than average manual dexterity, and mobility. Although primarily sedentary, inspections and operations evaluations involve activities demanding a certain amount of exertion such as walking, climbing, crawling, lifting of heavy objects, bending, stooping, and reaching. Working with collections can involve prolonged exposure to hazardous material and equipment. Working with lighting systems, environmental control systems, and alarm systems can involve exposure to electrical current and the use of power tools with physical hazards. The work entails the ability to concentrate for long periods of time.
Working Conditions: Most of the work is performed in an office and storage facility. Frequent visits are made to the library, visitor center, and other museums in the park. The incumbent makes occasional field trips to areas of the park that might be in urban or forested areas. Some travel to other facilities and museums, as well as to training and professional meetings is required.
The National Park Service has determined that the duties of this position are not suitable for telework.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Click the following link for more information, https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses provided in the Assessment Questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation, you will be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score will be adjusted accordingly. If a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications or experience, you can lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully; errors or omissions can affect your rating.
Candidates who apply under Competitive Merit Promotion procedures will undergo a quality review to determine if they are highly qualified based on the content of their resume and their responses to the questionnaire. Best qualified candidates will be referred if all required supporting documentation has been provided.
Candidates who apply under Noncompetitive Merit Promotion procedures will undergo a quality review to determine if they are minimally qualified based on the content of their resume and their responses to the questionnaire. Qualified candidates will be referred if all required supporting documentation has been provided.
You will be evaluated on the following competencies:
- History and Archaeology
- Information Management
- Planning and Evaluating
- Technical Competence
Please submit 1) a copy of your most recent performance appraisal/evaluation and 2) a list of any awards (e.g. superior performance awards, special act or achievement awards, quality step increase, etc.) you received in the last 5 years. Any performance appraisal/evaluation and award documentation you provide will be forwarded to the selecting official. The selecting official will review this documentation and give it due weight consideration during the overall selection process.
If you do not have your most recent performance appraisal/evaluation, please submit a statement as to why it is not available. Please indicate if any prior performance appraisals/evaluations were at an acceptable level. Read more Security clearance Not Required Drug test required No