Director of the Air Force Office of Scientific Research
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
In addition, DoD requires an Enterprise Perspective. The individual must possess a broad point of view and an awareness and understanding of individual or organizational responsibilities in relation to DoD or government-wide strategic priorities. Executives should demonstrate ability to work with internal and external partners to support national security objectives. This perspective is typically gained through a variety of diverse work experiences. A separate narrative statement is not required--this information should be embedded within the application package (Resume, Technical Qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications).
A. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Education Requirement:
For the 0800, General Engineering Series:
a. Degree: A professional engineering degree from an accredited institution is required. To be acceptable, the curriculum must:
(1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or(2) Include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics:(a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
b. Combination of education and experience: A combination of education and experience as required by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM). Acceptable combinations of education and experience can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/files/all-professional-engineering-positions-0800.pdf.
For the 1301, General Physical Science Series:
a. Degree: A physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics.
b. Combination of education and experience: Education equivalent to one of the majors shown in above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1300/general-physical-science-series-1301/.
2. Certification Requirements: This is a Critical Acquisition Position (CAP), which carries significant responsibility, primary involving supervisory or managerial duties in acquisition. A 3-year tenure agreement is required for the position. The selectee must also meet the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) requirements cited below, unless a waiver is granted by the AF Senior Acquisition Executive (SAE). Please indicate in your resume the level and source of certification or eligibility for certification.
a. Level III certification in Engineering or Science & Technology Management (STM) or can be obtained within 24 months.
b. 10 years of acquisition experience or equivalent, 4 of which were in a Critical Acquisition Position (CAP) or equivalent position.
B. MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (TQs): A supplemental statement must be submitted separately addressing each TQ. TQs must provide specific examples that address relevant experience and accomplishments. Applicants should focus on recent experience, education, and training, as some Recruitment Panel and Executive Resources Board members may consider experience that's over 10 years old to be outdated. Applicants must reflect superior technical qualifications demonstrated through leadership and management in the following:
1. Demonstrated leadership in research and development in such areas as in-house, exploratory, advanced development technologies, and extensive knowledge of the Air Force's basic research program.
2. Extensive systems engineering and technical management experience in the research, development, integration, acquisition, production, and or sustainment of relevant systems.
3. Experience in leading or participating in interagency and international forums involving basic research. Fostering alliances with other government agencies, academia, and industry to support investment in basic research.
C. MANDATORY EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs): The ECQs describe the leadership skills needed to succeed in the Senior Executive Service (SES); they also reinforce the concept of an "SES corporate culture." Submit a supplemental statement of the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs listed below) in the challenge/context/action/result (C-C-A-R) model format as provided by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Guide to SES Qualifications. Applicants should focus on recent experience, education, and training, as some Recruitment Panel, Executive Resources Board, and or OPM Quality Review Board reviewers may consider experience that's over 10 years old to be outdated. [OPM's guidance in the Guide to Senior Executive Service Qualifications (Appendix B)]. Refer to the OPM Guide to SES Qualifications for specific information and guidance on the ECQ requirements, the C-C-A-R model, and examples of good qualifications statements located here.
ECQ 1 - LEADING CHANGE. This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
ECQ 2 - LEADING PEOPLE. This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
ECQ 3 - RESULTS DRIVEN. This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
ECQ 4 - BUSINESS ACUMEN. This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
ECQ 5 - BUILDING COALITIONS: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
D. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: The following will be used to help rate and rank candidates:
1. Regardless of governmental agency or department, a career broadening assignment complementary of this position is highly desirable in Plans and Programs, Financial Management, Contracting, Program Management or Acquisition Logistics which provides a deep understanding of the Air Force Corporate Structure and the Air Staff.
2. Doctorate degree in related professional or scientific discipline is highly desired.
See the education requirement above.
U.S. Citizenship: You must be a U.S. citizen to qualify for this position.
Veterans' Preference: Veterans' preference is not applicable to the SES.
Air Force's Senior Leader Orientation Course (SLOC): Attendance is generally required within 12 months of appointment, subject to course availability.
Post-Government Restrictions: This position may be subject to the post-government employment restrictions of Sections 207(a) and (f) of Title 18, United States Code.
Active Duty Military Members: On resume, indicate when you are eligible for retirement. Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance (WTA) and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on WTA/RITA allowances and eligibilities, please visit: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applications will be evaluated against the qualifications requirements. Failure to meet any one of the Mandatory, Technical or Executive Core Qualifications standards will eliminate a candidate from further consideration.
Candidates will be evaluated for this position by a screening panel composed of a diverse mix of senior executives and/or general officers selected for organizational and/or functional backgrounds relevant to this position. The panel discusses each application and reaches consensus as to the Best Qualified, Qualified or Not Qualified candidates. Only the Best Qualified candidates will be interviewed. The panel will then make a recommendation of those Best Qualified candidates who should be referred to the selecting official, in priority order. Final selection is contingent upon the Air Force Executive Resources Board, Under SecAF, and OPM approval.