Criminal Investigator (Desk Officer)
Occasional travel - Travel will be less than 20%
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
The experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
Medical Restriction: The duties of positions in this series require moderate to arduous physical exertion involving walking and standing, use of firearms, and exposure to inclement weather. Manual dexterity with comparatively free motion of finger, wrist, elbow, shoulder, hip, and knee joints is required. Arms, hands, legs, and feet must be sufficiently intact and functioning in order that applicants may perform the duties satisfactorily. Sufficiently good vision in each eye, with or without correction, is required to perform the duties satisfactorily. Near vision, corrective lenses permitted, must be sufficient to read printed material the size of typewritten characters. Hearing loss, as measured by an audiometer, must not exceed 35 decibels at 1000, 2000, and 3000 Hz levels. Since the duties of these positions are exacting and responsible, and involve activities under trying conditions, applicants must possess emotional and mental stability. Any physical condition that would cause the applicant to be a hazard to himself/herself, or others is disqualifying.
Age Restriction: The date immediately preceding an individual's 37th birthday is the maximum entry age for original appointment to a law enforcement officer position. This requirement does not apply to a) Preference-eligible veterans; OR b) Individuals who are 37 years of age or older and have previously served in law enforcement officer positions that were covered by a special law enforcement retirement plan.
Specialized experience: For the GS-14, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience or General experience for this position includes:
- Overseeing or personally examining records, books, payrolls, reports, correspondence, and other data of consequence related to transactions, actions, or allegations under investigation; AND
- Developing and implementing investigative programs and methods for activities designed to prevent and detect fraud, abuse, and other criminal activities; AND
- Reviewing/finalizing reports of investigations and summaries, including making recommendations for corrective action.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following time-in-grade requirement, if applicable:
For the GS-14, you must have been at the GS-13 level for 52 weeks.
Time After Competitive Appointment:
Candidates who are current Federal employees serving on a non-temporary competitive appointment must have served at least three months in that appointment.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- Selectee is entitled to Law Enforcement Availability Pay at the rate of 25% of base pay.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
- File a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually from then on.
- Pass a detailed background investigation.
- Test negative for the presence of illegal drugs before placement in this position and be subject to random drug testing thereafter.
- Satisfactorily complete the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center's Criminal Investigator Training Program, or its equivalent.
- Carry a firearm, maintain firearms proficiency, and conduct full law enforcement activities. Any person convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence may not be hired [Title 18, United States Code, Section 922(g)(9)].
- Be willing to work irregular unscheduled hours and under hazardous conditions.
- Be willing to relocate at the direction of management.
- Pass a pre-employment physical examination.
- Possess and maintain a valid state driver's license.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your résumé may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Analytical, Technical and Communication. Your application will be rated and ranked among others, based on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)) you must receive a score of 85 or better to be rated as “well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Top Secret Drug test required Yes