Assistant Director, Platform Engineering
The Assistant Director for Platform Engineering (PE) is responsible for overseeing the technical direction and architecture for enterprise-wide server hosting (both on-premise and cloud hosted), end-user application delivery, storage and backup systems. The Assistant Director is responsible for technology advancement in these areas, and directs the staff that design, implement and upgrade these systems. For clarification, the Platform Engineering group is not responsible for daily operations of the services, but is responsible for all aspects of service development and architecture improvement. The Platform Engineering group is responsible for the effective and efficient hand-off of new services to operations staff, and providing 3rd level support when necessary.
The Assistant Director helps to integrate these systems to provide reliable and robust service in support of the administrative offices, research faculty and students at the University. The position also advises on disaster recovery and oversees the data and platform components of the IT disaster recovery plan to ensure recovery.
Responsibilities include assuring seamless integration across mid-size and large cross-platform infrastructure for existing systems and for new system design. This requires anticipating the needs of the University’s academic, research and administrative communities, evaluating emerging technologies, and enhancing existing infrastructure accordingly. The position is integral to the strategic planning and priority setting for the campus enterprise infrastructure and also must assist in sharing technical information across the campus IT community. The position manages projects to successful completion and assures prompt customer service, staff management and development. The position aids in policy development and in instituting the appropriate controls, processes and best practices that ensure compliance with State and University System of Maryland audit requirements and security best practices.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Ten years of progressive experience in Information Technology, including at least five years’ supervisory experience of a team of 6 or more staff managing a large enterprise hosting environment. Experience in both the engineering/implementation as well as operations, although this position’s focus is on engineering.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong knowledge in Linux and/or Windows operating systems.
- Strong planning, communication and analytical skills.
- Strong human resource, budget and project management skills.
- Ability to lead and motivate workforce as well as develop staff capabilities.
- Self-motivated, highly responsible and service-oriented.
- Ability to anticipate, where appropriate, emerging technologies and apply them to needs.
- Strong knowledge in 2 of the three following areas:
– Server Virtualization
– Hosting with Public Cloud Infrastructure such as AWS, Azure, or Google
– Storage and Backup systems and services
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a related discipline, is highly desired.
- Certifications in AWS, Microsoft, Unix/Linux, VMware, and other system/platform related areas.
- Desktop management and application virtualization (Citrix).
- Experience working in a large research university environment.
- Background in programming and automation tools such as Puppet and/or Ansible desired.
- Project management experience.
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for work visas.
Job risks: none of the above risks are present
Physical demands: predominantly operates in an office environment. Some periods of time may be spent in computer room and communications equipment spaces for installation, testing, and troubleshooting.
Best consideration date: 05/09/2019 - open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/69003