Studet Trainee (Operations Research Analyst
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Positions are open to current students pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate in an accredited high school, college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, and trade school; advanced degree programs; or other qualifying educational institution on at least a half-time basis (as defined by the institution in which the student is enrolled). Short-term training programs (e.g., several two-week programs completed) are not considered an academic course of study.
Internship for current students in good standing at an accredited education.
For this internship, you must be able to work full-time when not attending classes (i.e. summers, fall and spring breaks, etc), part-time, flexible.
To qualify for a Pathways Internship as a GS-05, students must have completed 4 academic years of post-high school leading to a bachelor's degree or equivalent degree. NOTE: Students that are graduating and are not subsequently enrolled in another program might not meet the work-hour requirements prior to graduation and will be at risk for not being able to convert to a career or career-conditional appointment!
For qualification purposes, an academic year is computed as follows:
- At the undergraduate level, successfully completed education that has not led to possession of a degree is credited based on its relationship to 120 semester hours or 180 quarter hours. For example, 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours is comparable to 1 year of undergraduate education. Four years of progressive study or 120 semester hours meets the degree requirements. Additional credit cannot be given for duplicate course work.
- For study at a business or technical school, 36 weeks of study (20+ classroom hours per week) is comparable to 1 academic year above high school.
- An academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent 1 academic year of full-time study. This determination is made based on normal course loads for a full year of study in the graduate program. If that information cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours or 27 quarter hours should be considered as satisfying the 1 year of full-time study requirement. Part-time graduate education is creditable in accordance with its relationship to a year of full-time study at the school attended.
- When academic credit is expressed in contract months, units, or other terms that differ from conventional semester or quarter hours, it is the responsibility of the applicant to provide an interpretation of such credits from the appropriate institution in order to equate them to the semester or quarter hours specified in the standard.
NOTE: If your college, vocational, trade, technical or high schools' definition of "academic year" differs from above, you must submit proof of this difference (e.g., copy of course catalog that defines an academic year). Absent this documentation, you will screened for academic qualifications based on the academic hours as defined in the bullets above.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Oral Communication
- Research and Data Analysis
- Scientific Research
- Technology Application
For this internship, you must be a current student majoring in MATHEMATICS or STATISTICS
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
This is a student internship opportunity. Your transcripts are a required part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 36 - Analysis, Modeling and Simulation position.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Be a U.S. Citizen at the time of conversion;
- Complete at least 640 hours of work experience acquired through the Internship Program prior to or concurrent with completion of academic requirements;
- Complete their educational requirements (as specified in the announcement);
- Meet the Office of Personnel Management's qualification standard, including any applicable positive education requirement and/or selective placement factors and any other special qualifications requirements and conditions of employment (e.g. medical standards) appropriate for the specific competitive service position to which the intern will be converted;
- Successfully complete all the requirements of the Internship Program as defined in the agency-participant agreement; and
- Perform their job successfully as documented through performance evaluations and/or completion of an Individual Development Plan (IDP).
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of two quality categories: Ideal Candidate, and Eligible Candidate. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Ideal: This category will be used for those candidates who meet
- Eligible: This category will be used for those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications of the position.