Teacher Assistant (Head Start)
The Head Start Teacher Assistant assists the teacher by performing instructional duties, preparing classroom materials,
supervising student behavior, learning and applying specific behavior management techniques, and administering
literacy assessments. The Teacher Assistant also performs clerical duties, and provides assistance with personal hygiene
and physical care needs as required. The work is performed under the guidance and supervision of the teacher.
the position. This is not a comprehensive listing of all responsibilities or tasks; other work may be assigned when deemed
* Provides individual and group instruction on activities as instructed; prepares lesson plans with the teacher.
* Assists in preparing for and teaching the Second Step Curriculum (School Family Meetings) on a weekly basis to
the class; presents language activities involving expressive and receptive areas of development.
* Prepares the classroom for meals and activities, assists students on and off the bus, prepares meal counts for
the cafeteria staff, and performs clerical tasks, as assigned.
* Collects data and records anecdotal student observations; uses ChildPlus for record keeping and documentation
for all information related to each student and family.
* In collaboration with Head Start Teacher, implements behavior modification plans in accordance with the Head
Start program philosophy and monitors students' safety.
* Administers literacy assessments to students.
* Participates with teacher in home visits with Head Start families.
Below are the qualifications for this position:
* High School Diploma or GED, and a CDA (Child Development Associate) credential required
* Experience working with preschool age children
* Ability to learn to perform individual medical procedures when necessary.
* Experience in working with diverse cultures
* Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills
* Demonstrates strong organizational skills
* Bi-lingual required, Spanish preferred
The following provides a brief description of physical requirements for this position:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly talking. expressing or exchanging ideas by means of
the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers
accurately, loudly, or quickly. The employee must possess normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall
and apply certain practices and policies. Frequently sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position for long periods of
time. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift,
carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.