Natural Resources Specialist
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position to various sites within the park and to attend meetings or training.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males.
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid State issued driver's license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle. You will also submit a photocopy of your valid State issued driver's license prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year, or more frequently if management determines such need exists. Lastly, you may be required to submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that discloses all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. Please indicate in your application whether you possess a valid State driver's license.
- You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided.
- You may be required to work on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and shift work.
- If you are a new employee or supervisor in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period.
- You may be required to complete training and obtain/maintain a government charge card with travel and/or purchase authority.
- Applicants must be at least (1)18 years old or (2) at least 16 years old and: (a) Have graduated from high school or been awarded a certificate equivalent to graduating from high school; or (b) Have completed a formal vocational training program; or (c) Have received a statement from school authorities agreeing with their preference for employment rather than continuing their education; or (d) Be currently enrolled in a secondary school and either work only during school vacation periods or work part-time during the school year under a formal student employment program.
Basic Requirements for a Natural Resource Specialist:
Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Degree: biology, or a related field of science underlying ecological research that included at least 30 semester hours in basic and applied biological sciences. These hours must have included at least 9 semester hours in ecology, and 12 semester hours in physical and mathematical sciences.
Degree: botany; or basic plant science that included at least 24 semester hours in botany.
Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in botany or basic plant science that included at least 24 semester hours in botany, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Physical Scientist 1301:
Degree: physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics.
Combination of education and experience: education equivalent to one of the majors shown above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to the Basic Requirements you must the following specialized experience:
Experience: One full year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized Experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Examples of qualifying specialized experience for this position include but are not limited to: use ecological principles, natural systems ecology, and natural resources management; initiate new program thrusts from ecological principles, natural systems and natural resource management; use knowledge of flora and fauna to differentiate between native and exotic species; seeks guidance from Federal, state, and local environmental laws governing resource management; use technical knowledge of the interactions of the various elements of ecosystems and the ability to recognize, monitor, and analyze threats to those elements, both from within and outside of unit boundaries; operate personal computers and associated software, such as Microsoft Office, and the Geographic Information System (GIS).
Education: 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree.
Combination Education/Experience: I have not completed one full year of specialized experience as described above or the two years of graduate study in a field directly-related to the work of this position as shown above, but I have an equivalent combination of such education and experience. For example, I have six months of specialized experience (50% of the experience requirement), and 18 semester hours or 27 quarter hours of directly-related graduate level education in an accredited educational institution (50% of the qualifying education).
Experience: One full year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized Experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Examples of qualifying specialized experience for this position include but are not limited to: use knowledge of ecological principles, current scientific information, and resource monitoring and management techniques to develop, coordinate, and implement resources management programs and to resolve resource management problems; carry out research, organize materials, and present reports, suggestions, and correspondence; implements a resource management program which includes (forest/forest fire management, or tree disease and insect control, or exotic plant/animal control, pest management, soil management, special land uses, or scientific monitoring; collect and analyze data concerning resources; develop methods to publicize the results and findings of research.
Education: 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
Combination Education/Experience: I have not completed one full year of specialized experience as described above or the three years of graduate study in a field directly-related to the work of this position as shown above, but I have an equivalent combination of such education and experience. For example, I have six months of specialized experience (50% of the experience requirement), and (50% of the qualifying education). Only education in excess of the amount required for a Masters degree working toward a Ph.D. may be combined with experience.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
You must include months, years and hours per week worked to receive credit for your work and/or volunteer experience. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. You will not receive any credit for experience that does not indicate exact hours per week or is listed as "varies".
To qualify based on education, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Transcripts do not need to be official, but if you are selected for this position and you used your education to qualify, you must provide official transcripts before you begin work.
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet qualification requirements, you must show that your education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.
This announcement may be used to fill additional positions if identical vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.
Promotion to the full performance level is neither guaranteed nor implied and will be based solely on your ability to satisfactorily perform the work of the position, existing work at the higher grade level, and recommendation by the position's supervisor.
Physical Demands: The position is subject to weather, terrain variances, stinging insects, and plants that cause cutaneous irritations. The work is sometimes sedentary but does require physical exertion such as periods of walking over rough terrain, standing, bending, carrying equipment up to 40 pounds, and periodically performing manual work such as monitoring, pest management activities, forest management practices, restoration of disturbed areas, and use of chainsaws.
Working Conditions: The work requires office and outdoor activities. The incumbent is required to operate government-owned motorized vehicles incidental to the performance of his/her official duties and to wear the official National Park Service uniform. Temperature and weather extremes may be encountered in the performance of the outdoor work. Outdoor work will include seasonal exposure to insects and poison ivy.
The National Park Service has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Click the following link for more information, https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses provided in the Assessment Questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation, you will be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score will be adjusted accordingly. If a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications or experience, you can lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully; errors or omissions can affect your rating.
Candidates will be rated and ranked using Category Rating procedures. These procedures place candidates with veteran's preference above non-preference eligibles within each category. Veterans with a service connected disability of at least 10 percent are listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. Under Category Rating, candidates will be rated and ranked into one of three categories:
- Best Qualified - applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors and are highly proficient in all requirements of the job and can perform effectively in the position
- Well Qualified - applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors and are proficient in most of the requirements of the job
- Qualified - applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors and are proficient in some, but not all of the requirements of the job.
- Oral Communication
- Technical Competence
- Technology Application