Middle School Dean
The Middle School Dean assists the Principal in fulfilling his/her chief responsibility of promoting the educational well being of each student in the school and providing sound educational programs for children.
* Assists in interpreting school and District programs, policies, and procedures to students, parents, staff, and community under supervision of the Principal or his/her designee.
* Assists in the evaluation of licensed and classified staff members; assists marginal teachers; assists with problems of discipline.
* Assists with special school programs or projects involving remedial, at risk, and special education students.
* Assists with supervision of students arriving at and leaving the school; assists with the supervision of students in the cafeteria.
* Develops and maintains a positive communication system with the community, teaching staff, administration, and School Board.
* Helps with the supervision of custodial staff and providing substitutes for the school staff.
* Assists with the review of interim reports, special education enrollment reports, preschool home reports, log reports, report cards, and plan books.
* Performs related work as required.
Must have or be eligible for a current teaching license in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Holds a Master's Degree from an accredited college or university with an endorsement as Middle School or Secondary Principal or is willing to complete a program leading to this endorsement within 3 years. (Preference may be given to an applicant with a Master's Degree or with an endorsement as Middle School or Secondary Principal).
* Has successful experience as a teacher, administrator, or supervisor.
* Possesses leadership qualities and personal characteristics necessary to work effectively with students, parents, teachers, administrators, and community.
The Dean reports to the Principal or the Principal's designee.