Media Relations Manager
The Media Relations Manager is a key member of University Communications and will serve as a media relations specialist that supports strategic communications and enhancing the university’s reputation locally, nationally and internationally. The Media Relations Manager is responsible for developing media pitches, strategies & PR plans with the goal of promoting UMD as a premier institution of higher learning, research, innovation and entrepreneurship. The media manager is responsible for identifying and managing relationships with key media, pitching UMD stories, managing media requests, positioning subject matter experts in media and on social, optimizing news of the day opportunities and promoting media relations best practices.
The Media Relations Manager will work strategically as well as tactically to achieve desired results, must be media savvy, an excellent writer and experienced in executing media and social media campaigns. He/she will have a track record of media success and measuring results.
An excellent writer and communicator, the Media Relations Manager produces communications of all types, including press releases, op-eds, blogs, feature stories, media advisories, scripts, talking points, newsletters, and other promotional materials as needed. Additionally, he/she contributes as a writer for university publications and video productions. This individual must be fluent in the use of various social media platforms and be able to develop a plan and strategy for incorporating social media into overall PR efforts.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with key national, regional, local and trade news media. Execute all aspects of media relations, including story development, media targeting, pitching, and relationship management. Secure and pitch media opportunities for university spokespeople and conduct interview preparation and media training.
- Provide media relations counsel and ongoing support to assigned academic and programmatic areas campus-wide, including but not limited to communications strategy and planning, messaging, media outreach, social media and special events planning. Mine stories on an ongoing basis, leveraging profiles, events and angles to support broader university messages.
- Grow existing program that positions university experts and connects them with relevant news topics to elevate reputation and share academic research with broader audiences.
-Stay attuned to external news events and trends related to higher education, research, and innovation/entrepreneurship, leveraging information for media outreach and other visibility opportunities.
- Remain current with new and emerging technologies and tools that can improve the strategic communications efforts of the university and its campaigns
- Develop, implement and maintain appropriate metrics to evaluate impact and effectiveness of external communications. Inform campus-wide communicators of PR procedures and best practices to encourage communications consistency.
Education (include licenses, certifications, etc.):
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or related field is required.
Experience: 5 years of progressive experience in Media Relations, Public Relations, Public Affairs, Communications, or related field is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Exemplary writing, editing, presentation and copy editing skills; proficient in AP style
• Solid media instincts, with proven track record of media and social media success
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in a dynamic environment
• Keen judgment and problem-solving skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications