Administrative Assistant, Knowledge Development
Position Summary: The Administrative Assistant supports the work of the Knowledge Development (KDev) department through the performance of a variety of administrative duties, project and event support. This position should be able to provide excellent word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software application support to both the Deputy Executive Director and the KDev unit, as well as occasional research, and meeting/event organization and coordination.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
Provide administrative support to the Deputy Executive Director and Knowledge Development team (45%)
- Prepare, review, and proof documents and correspondence
- Screen incoming correspondence and monitor organizational in boxes
- Prioritize and plan project activities using a variety of planning calendars
- Manage the coordination of KDev team schedules and materials needed for the annual conference
- Take notes and monitor action items related to projects, meetings or event inquiries; provide status and follow up as appropriate
- Support the coordination of engagement efforts with external stakeholders, including embassies and international delegations
- Conduct research and provide information as needed; requires a comprehensive knowledge of Knowledge Development operations and the NAFSA mission
- Update and manage relevant website content
- Provide back-up support to the Membership Frontline Specialist within the rotation of other NAFSA staff members who cover the front desk
Assist with program planning and coordination of special events, including NAFSA annual conference, as well as other events throughout the year (40%)
- Provide administrative support associated with the planning, scheduling, and logistics of special events, including the Presidents and Provosts Summit
- Interface with high-level contacts, including university and business leaders, using discretion and initiative
- Coordinate meeting logistics for NAFSA sponsored activities
- Provide high level of customer service and support, answering inquiries about event/program registration or content.
- Coordinate registration for specific KDev programs and/or collaborate with an external registration company to manage online registration, create participant/invitee rosters, compile and disseminate reports and statistics.
- Assist with routine marketing communications; draft scripts for event moderators
- Send invitations, track correspondence, and confirm attendance of guests and speakers
- Source and collate speaker biographies; compile information packets
- Liaise with event and program sponsors as appropriate
- Assist with organization of resources and ensure that they are posted in appropriate locations on the NAFSA website.
Perform other duties as assigned by the Deputy Executive Director (15%)
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum of five years of administrative support experience
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written, with strong editorial capabilities (writing, editing, proofreading)
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Ability to communicate with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders, while handling issues with tact and discretion
- Strong attention to detail and a track record of excellent customer relations support using a variety of communication mediums and platforms
- Demonstrated ability to appropriately prioritize, manage, and complete multiple projects and assignments while meeting competing deadlines
- Ability to master various technology, web, and data management systems
- Proficiency with all aspects of Microsoft Office suite products
- Previous experience with an association, membership, nonprofit or higher education organization
- An interest in international education and familiarity with communications with universities or academic organizations
- Exposure to event planning
- Experience with database software, as well as various web or cloud-based conferencing platforms
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual conference or other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities.
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive, and accessible workplace to all employees. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.