Nurse V - Clinical Director, Nursing Education
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel up to 25% of the time for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- A minimum of six years of professional practice in progressively more responsible clinical, educational and/or administrative leadership assignments.
- Knowledge of and experience with curriculum development, educator competencies and nursing education accreditation requirements.
- Evidence of self-directed, independent functioning and the ability to work effectively with others at all levels within a complex organization.
- Skills in conceptualization, critical thinking, problem solving, and follow through.
- Skills in resource administration, personnel management, and supervision.
- Demonstrate ability to work collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders.
- Skills in budget management and administration.
- Skills in analytical techniques used in program evaluation.
- Project management skills.
- Nurse V - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN (or a Bachelor's degree in a related field) and approximately 5-6 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree (preferred) in nursing or related field and appropriate basic or advanced certification desired, and approximately 4-5 years of nursing practice/experience.
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements of this position are concerned with the mental and physical ability of the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the proposed assignment and may include requisite laboratory and other screening as required by Federal regulatory agencies.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: Candidate's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience as an RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: Collaborates with health care executives in creating the organizational mission and vision. Directs the integration of nursing or nursing related activities in the mutual development and achievement of organizational goals.
- Ethics: Advocates for ethical decision-making on behalf of the public and staff. Develops an environment for ethical decision-making at the organization/system level.
- Resource Utilization: Develops resource utilization strategies to improve organizational performance. Strategies reflect the changing societal and health care environments and the economic climate.
- Professional Development
- Education/Career Development: Mentors others in executive leadership positions. Forecasts knowledge needs for complex multi-system change.
- Performance: Develops policy related to professional practice and relevant statutes and regulations on community, regional, and/or national levels.
- Collaboration: Collaborates with other executives for strategic planning, decision-making, and problem solving about health care services and organizational priorities.
- Collegiality: Serves as an expert to communicate nursing and health care trends and issues at the local, regional, state, and/or national level.
- Scientific Inquiry
- Quality of Care: Improves the quality and effectiveness of the facility's overall health care program by providing leadership, coordinating, and facilitating the evaluation and improvement of a wide range of programs. Excellence is reflected in improved client outcomes and organizational performance.
- Research: Promotes an environment that supports the conduct and utilization of research in practice and a spirit of inquiry.