STAFF ACCOUNTANT (STAFF ACCOUNTANT)
Occasional travel - Travel one to five (1 - 5) nights per month.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: You must have
Degree in accounting or a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting (and/or auditing). The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. OR
Combination of education and experience that included: At least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge, and included one of the following: 1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; OR 2. A certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; OR 3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours; provided that you can demonstrate that you have successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, and/or have the education, training, and experience that fully meets the specified requirements.
In addition to the above, you must meet the requirements described below:
GS-14 LEVEL: At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to GS-13 level. At this grade level, you will serve as a liaison to represent management at a high level. Specialized experience would include in-depth experience in applying accounting theories, concepts, principles, and standards sufficient to ensure financial systems, operations, and reports meet the requirements of law and regulations; preparing, analyzing, interpreting and presenting accounting data; designing, implementing, and assessing internal control processes and systems; preparing financial analysis and evaluation work requiring a comprehensive knowledge of auditing financial statements as well as internal controls. Experience in applying expert knowledge of written and oral communications techniques in order to document and describe analyses within work papers, coordinate work efforts, effectively communicate ideas to internal and external stakeholders, and prepare and deliver reports (i.e. audit reports). Your experience must also demonstrate the ability to conduct independent research, establish contacts, resolve complex problems, and direct team members to assess the effectiveness of agency-wide programs and policies to improve existing business processes.
- The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-timework; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
- To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must have been at the GS-13 level for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- We offer opportunities for telework.
- Must meet IRS telework eligibility requirements
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
- Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to 2 years of returns.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation including an FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
- Undergo an income tax verification and review of prior performance/conduct.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- File a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually from then on.
Position is located in WASHINGTON, D.C.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated based on the IRS Merit Promotion Plan in the following areas: Oral and Written Communication, Accounting Principles, Planning and Evaluating, Problem Solving, Decision Making, Leadership. Your application will be rated and ranked among others, based on your responses to the online questions regarding your experience, education, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position. IRS employees may obtain most recent awards listing at https://persinfo.web.irs.gov/indexawd.htm.
Your rating may be lowered, if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Referral: You will be assigned to one of three quality groups. Each group represents a quality level (i.e., Superior/Best Qualified, Highly Qualified, Qualified). Candidates will be considered in quality group order. If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration.
You may be required to participate in a selection interview (telephonic and/or in person at the discretion of the Selecting Official in accordance with hiring polices). We will not reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP), you must receive a score of Highly Qualified or better to be rated as well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Not Required Drug test required No