- Full Time
25% or less - You may be expected to travel up to 25% for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Basic Requirement: A. Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")
Or to qualify at the GS-11 level based on education, a PH.D is required.
A combination of education and experience - at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following: 1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; 2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or 3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, if applicable
Note: Due to the education requirement of this position, an unofficial transcript must be submitted at the time of application. If transcripts are not received, you will be ineligible.
GS-11 Specialized experience is defined as: Applicants must have 52 weeks of specialized experience at the GS-09 level or equivalent under GS or another pay system that demonstrates skill in researching applicable laws, directives, and other regulatory material to provide assistance in conducting audits in accordance with Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS), provide assistance in collecting audit data and drafting audit reports within established guidelines.
GS-12 Specialized experience is defined as: Applicants must have 52 weeks of specialized experience at the GS-11 level or equivalent under GS or another pay system that demonstrates skill in researching applicable laws, directives, and other regulatory material to conduct audits in accordance with Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS), draft audit reports within established guidelines and provide recommendations to correct deficiencies founded within audit reports.
GS-13 Specialized Experience is defined as: Applicants must have 52 weeks of specialized experience at the GS-12 level or equivalent under GS or another pay system that demonstrates skill in theory, concepts and practices of accounting and auditing to ensure quality work when conducting audit reviews; analyze data, draw conclusions and recommend corrective action; and work as an audit team member ensuring overall project is accomplished within Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS) and other established guidelines and timelines.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Substitution of education for GS: Ph.D. Or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M. may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirement.
There is no substitution of education for GS-12 and above.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
ACCREDITATION Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management website at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/ and U.S. Department of Education website at http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Certifications: CPA or CIA, if applicable.
- Competitive wages, flexible schedules and one of the most comprehensive benefits packages found in either government or private sector. These extraordinary benefits encompass health, pay, work/life balance, growth & learning.
- Moving expenses not be paid.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Priority Placement Program (PPP).
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- Telework availability will be based upon the mission requirements and supervisory determination.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 90 days of the closing date.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or be exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov)
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives.)
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Secret or Top Secret-Sensitive Compartmented Information Security Clearance is required depending on position to which selected.
- This position is part of the Department of Defense Office of Inspector General (DoD OIG), Deputy Inspector General for Audit and is being filled under Direct-Hire Authority for Financial Management Experts. OIG has delegated authority by the office of the Secretary of Defense to directly appoint qualified candidates possessing a finance, accounting, management, or actuarial science degree, or a related degree for an accredited college or university in a field of study, or equivalent experience, related to the functions of the positions to be filled. Positions may be filled as permanent or term with a full-time or part-time work schedule. Pay will vary by geographic location. We reserve the right to close this announcement early or to extend, as appropriate, based upon the needs of the Agency, Qualified applications packages may be referred to management at various points in the selection process depending on the number and timing of applications received Selections may be made at any point during the announcement open period.
- This is an open-continuous announcement and will be used to fill vacant positions with an entry grade of GS-11, GS-12 and GS-13 with a target grade of GS-13, in the following locations: Alexandria, VA, Cleveland, OH, Columbus, OH, Indianapolis, IN, Denver, CO and Philadelphia, PA.
- A list of Applicants will be referred every three weeks for consideration. Applications received after the three week cut-off may be considered on future applicant lists.
- The minimum base salary for this position at the GS-11 step 1 level is $53,805 through GS-11 step 10 $47,264. The minimum base salary at the GS-12 step 1 level is $64,490 through GS-12 step 10 $83,840. The minimum base salary at the GS-13 step 1 level is $76,687 through GS-13 step 10 $99,691. Locality amount varies by location.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A list of Applicants will be pulled every three weeks. Applicant packages will be reviewed to determine if qualified.
The Assessment Questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
At the GS-11 level:
- Ability to utilize knowledge of theories concepts and practices of accounting and auditing
- Skill in fact finding and analysis techniques
- Skill in systematically examining and appraisal accounting and/or audit materials
- Skill in initiating, developing, maintaining and using interpersonal relationships to interact effectively with internal and external customers
- Skill in written and oral communication
At the GS-12 and 13 level:
- Knowledge of theories, concepts and practices of accounting and auditing
- Utilizing auditing principles, standards and practices to provide overall audit oversight
- Ability to determine facts, draw conclusions and recommend corrective actions when conducting audits
- Skill in initiating, developing, maintaining and using interpersonal relationships to interact effectively with internal and external customers.
You can preview the Assessment Questionnaire here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10471516