Supervisory Chemist or Supervisory Toxicologist (Forensics) Deputy Director
6 days left
- Full Time
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Must be a U.S. Citizen
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
Resume and Supporting Documents (How To Apply)
Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation
May be required to successfully complete a probationary period, if not already completed.
All applicants are subject to a comprehensive criminal background investigation, and required to submit to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment
All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choice
Status applicants for promotion must have 52 weeks of service at the next lower grade
Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the close of this announcement
Selective Factor: I have recent work experience in senior positions in a forensic/medical toxicology laboratory that performed high volume testing. Examples of senior positions include director, deputy director, technical director, supervisor, or similar position where you made decisions and/or controlled operations in a laboratory or comparable testing facility. I serve as a technical expert in at least one of the following areas: providing scientific advice, technical guidance, and legal preparation regarding laboratory testing and interpretation of results of testing for the courts and court officials.
For Chemistry Series 1320: A) I have a degree in physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics; OR B) Combination of education and experience, course work equivalent to a major as shown in A above, including at least 30 semester hours of chemistry, supplemented by mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics, plus appropriate experience or additional education;AND C) Specialized experience is managing and directing all phases of a Forensic Toxicology Laboratory, to include but not limited to: performing the full range of forensic screening and confirmation analyses to detect drug use and provide interpretation of data, drug pharmacokinestics and drug pharmacodynmaics. Supervisory experience includes assigning work, providing technical oversight, developing performance plans, evaluating/appraising performance, attracting new talent, taking disciplinary measures, ensuring EEO implementation, and facilitating professional development for a workforce.
For Toxicology Series 415: A) I have a degree in toxicology; or an appropriate discipline of the biological, medical, or veterinary sciences that included at least 30 semester hours in chemistry, biochemistry, or physiology, and 12 semester hours in toxicology; AND B )Specialized experience is managing and directing all phases of a Forensic Toxicology Laboratory, to include but not limited to: performing the full range of forensic screening and confirmation analyses to detect drug use and provide interpretation of data, drug pharmacokinestics and drug pharmacodynmaics. Supervisory experience includes assigning work, providing technical oversight, developing performance plans, evaluating/appraising performance, attracting new talent, taking disciplinary measures, ensuring EEO implementation, and facilitating professional development for a workforce.
There is no education substitution at this grade level.
1.If you are an eligible Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) applicant, you may apply for special selection over other applicants for this position. Individuals who have special priority selection rights under the ICTAP must be well-qualified for the position. To be well qualified, applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and meet the well-qualified level (mid-level) of the crediting plan for all factors. ICTAP eligibles must submit one of the following as proof of eligibility for the special selection priority: a separation notice, SF-50, Notice of Personnel Action, documenting separation, an agency certification that you cannot be placed after injury compensation has been terminated, an OPM notification that your disability annuity has been terminated, OR a Military Department or National Guard Bureau notification that you are retired under 5 U.S.C. Section 833(h) or Section 8456.
2. If you are a current career or career-conditional Federal employee or former Federal employee who has reinstatement eligibility, you must submit a copy of your latest SF-50 "Notification of Personnel Action" and/or a copy of the SF-50 that reflects career or career-conditional tenure, or you will not be considered under the merit promotion process. Also, you should submit your most recent performance appraisal.
3. Veterans' Employment Opportunities Act of 1998: Veterans who are preference eligible or who have been separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active duty service may apply. If you are applying under this provision, please submit a copy of your DD-214 (unedited long version).
4. If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
5. You can apply for a non-competitive appointment if you meet the basic eligibility requirements and you are eligible for special appointment such as those authorized for the severely disabled; certain Vietnam era and disabled veterans; returned volunteers from the Peace Corps or Vista , etc. Please indicate the type of special appointment you are seeking, if any, on your application and follow all other instructions for applying shown in this announcement.
6. Reasonable Accommodation, this agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of this application and hiring process, please notify the agency. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation is made on a case-by-case basis.
7. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review in our office, in other Federal agency personnel offices, and on OPM's web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
8. Equal Opportunity Employer: The Pretrial Services Agency is an equal opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be based solely on merit without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status or other non-merit based factors.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated based on your responses to the job specific information provided in your resume. Your resume must clearly show how you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below. Failure to demonstrate how you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities will result in a rating of "Qualified" by the rating panel.
1. Knowledge of Rules of Evidence applied to forensic toxicology and forensic science, expertise in the analyses of drugs on all phases of forensic toxicology of drugs of abuse.
2. Ability and skill to lead, coach staff, plan, and execute strategic direction for forensic laboratory operations..
3. Skill in written and verbal communication with internal staff and external stakeholders such as the courts.
Once the application process is completed, your application will be reviewed to ensure you meet the job requirements. You will be evaluated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training, job- related awards and supervisory appraisal of performance. If you meet the basic qualification requirements, your resume will be forwarded to a panel for rating. Category Rating will be used to evaluate applicants using the following categories to further determine which applicants will be referred to the selecting official for final consideration.
Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level on all evaluation criteria.
Well Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level on evaluation criteria.
Qualified: Applicants possessing the specialized experience described above.