Research Scientist/Engineer-Modeling and Simulation
Experienced Scientist or Engineer to support development of mass transport models to include the design, analysis, and implementation of the laboratory techniques proposed for addressing model development questions; the analysis of data for the understanding, development, determination, and quantitative assessment of mass transport processes and algorithm parameters; and the design of new models/algorithms and enhancements to existing model algorithms.
Essential Job Functions:
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop and implement predictive models and algorithms for contaminant mass transport and chemical interactions of chemical warfare agents (CWA) and other hazardous materials in military relevant materials.
- Develop and implement CWA mass transport and chemical interaction models/algorithms for the prediction of decontamination efficacy and residual hazard assessment.
- Collaborate with research teams to design laboratory experiments for model development and model validation.
- Apply modeling techniques in support of the experiment design processes.
- Apply mathematical and computational techniques required for model development and implementation including the application of Finite Element, Finite Difference, CFD, and parameter estimation techniques.
- Develop mathematical models from first principles. Implement models in both commercial software (e.g., Fluent and COMSOL) and in custom written code (e.g., MATLAB and C++).
- Perform data analyses for model and algorithm development including the determination of needed model parameters and coefficients.
- Perform statistical analyses for the assessment of laboratory data as well as error analyses for model predictions.
- Prepare open literature publications, technical reports, oral presentations, progress reports, etc., as needed to fulfill client and customer needs.
- Due to the sensitivity of customer related requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, or related field with ten (10) years of experience or Ph.D. with five (5) years of research experience (preferred).
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret clearance.
- Experience writing code and running applications using MATLAB, C/C++.
- Demonstrated ability to model mass transport processes with an understanding of fundamental and applied materials science concepts.
- Significant experience in preparation of scientific publications, and presentations.
- Excellent English written and verbal skills.
- Experience in implementing mass transport models in commercial packages such as COMSOL
- Experience in Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software such as Fluent and OpenFOAM.
- Linux operating systems (e.g., RHEL).
- Experience in molecular dynamics simulations and GUI development is a plus.
- Coursework in numerical methods, fluid dynamics, heat and mass transfer, and thermodynamics are required. Coursework or experience in materials science or statistics is desired.