Vice President for Government Relations and Policy Analysis
The American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) is seeking nominations and applicants for the position of Vice President for Government Relations and Policy Analysis. This position reports to the AASCU President Mildred Garcìa Ed.D., to manage, plan, develop and implement the Association's public policy agenda and to direct a program to monitor, analyze, address and influence federal and state legislation affecting public higher education.
The Vice President works closely with AASCU members serving on the Council of State Representatives (CSR), representing all 50 states and US territories, whose role is to initially develop and guide the implementation of the Association’s public policy. The incumbent will oversee development of that Agenda and the strategy for its implementation and communication to government agencies, congressional committees and individual representatives, state public and policy groups. Working closely with the Communications Division, and in consultation with the Office of the President, the Vice President will serve as a primary spokesperson for media inquiries on issues related to AASCU’s advocacy agenda and public policy matters affecting higher education.
Successful candidates should have extensive knowledge of higher education policy and will have experience establishing effective advocacy goals in Washington, D.C. as the Association's key link between the federal government and the Association's member institutions in monitoring public policies that affect authorizing legislation or federal appropriations and influencing policies, values, and programs that are of interest to AASCU institutions. This full-time position is based in Washington, DC.
The following qualifications are required:
• Master’s degree required, Advanced or Professional Degree preferred in relevant Field
• Extensive Knowledge/Experience in shaping higher education policy issues, structure, finances and current topics
• Knowledge and Experience in Federal and State Governmental Relations and Policy Analysis
• Experience in coalition building and relationship management regarding AASCU’s members, stakeholders, peer associations, foundations, and partners on relevant issues
• Experience working in membership associations
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Proven track record with strategic planning, budgeting, operations and managing a team of Policy Advocates
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of collaboration and flexibility
• Superb interpersonal skills, including ability to generate respect and trust from colleagues, direct reports, and external constituents
The following qualifications are strongly preferred:
• Professional Experience with Federal and State governmental relations, legislative, policy and regulatory matters
• Meaningful Lobbying Experience
• Working knowledge of non-profit management, operations, personnel, and administrative functions
AASCU is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Applications and Nominations
To view the full job description, go to http://www.aascu.org/career-opportunities/
Applications, nominations and questions regarding the position may be submitted to HR@aascu.org. Applications must include a resume, cover letter and brief statement of interest not to exceed one page. The application deadline is May 6.