Information Security Systems Engineer
Please apply directly on our website at www.mcpsva.org
Position Title: Information Security Systems Engineer
Pay Grade: 20 Period of Employment: 12 Months
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Supervised by and/or Reports to: Coordinator of Information Technology
General Responsibilities: Responsible for engineering, implementing and monitoring security measures for the protection of computer systems, network and information; identifying and defining system security requirements; designing computer security architecture and developing detailed cyber security designs.
(This list is intended solely as an illustration of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude their addition if they are similar to or a logical extension of the position.)
- Engineers, implements and monitors security measures for the protection of computer systems, networks and information.
- Identifies and defines computer system security requirements.
- Designs computer security architecture and detailed cybersecurity strategies.
- Prepares and documents standard operating procedures and protocols.
- Configures and troubleshoots security infrastructure devices.
- Develops technical solutions and security tools to help mitigate security vulnerabilities and automate repeatable tasks.
- Writes comprehensive reports related to the enhancement of computer systems, networks, and information security.
- Acts as security technical advisor or analyst for division initiatives to evaluate new technologies for program conformance.
- Tests solutions effectively utilizing industry standard analysis criteria involving delivery of technical reports and formal papers on test findings.
- Conducts investigations related to security incidents involving technology (i.e. email, virus, malware, applications, and data breaches).
- Conducts periodic network scans, penetration tests, simulations to expose weaknesses, etc. Analyzes and reports resulting findings with recommendations to minimize risks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requisite Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proven work experience as a system security engineer or information security engineer.
- Experience in building and maintaining information security systems and frameworks.
- Detailed technical knowledge of database and operating system security.
- Hands-on experience in security systems, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, anti-virus software, authentication systems, log management, content filtering.
- Experience with network security, networking technologies, and network monitoring tools.
- Thorough understanding of the latest security principles, techniques, and protocols.
- Familiarity with web-related technologies (web applications, web services, service-oriented architectures) and of network/web-related protocols.
- Problem solving skills and ability to work under pressure.
- Intermediate knowledge of switching, routing, and network protocols.
Requisite Education and Experience:
- Must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Five (5) years of successful full-time experience supporting information security systems and architectures.
- Industry certifications preferred.
Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not limited to a personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. No significant climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, or repetitive motions required.
Manassas City Public Schools assures equal employment opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by federal and state orders and laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential tasks.
This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. It is neither intended to be, nor should it be construed as, an all-inclusive list of the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position. The administration reserves the right to modify, assign, or remove duties as necessary.