Position Announcement #119005 – Director, Engagement
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) is a private, nonprofit corporation created to ensure universal access to non-commercial high-quality programming and telecommunications services. We invest in programs and services that are educational, innovative, locally relevant, and reflect America’s common values and cultural diversity. We encourage the development of programming that involves creative risks and that addresses the needs of unserved and underserved audiences, particularly children and minorities.
CPB is currently seeking to hire a Director, Engagement (level 8). Salary $70,500 - $110,100. This position reports directly to the SVP, Engagement.
Works with SVP, Engagement to direct CPB engagement programs, initiatives, and projects, ensuring that they are: (1) comprehensively planned, accurately budgeted, and transacted in accordance with CPB policies and procedures; and (2) coordinated internally with CPB government affairs and communications departments, as well as cross functionally with CPB content (TV programming, Radio and Education) departments to facilitate alignment and integration across the organization. Further, works to ensure specific investments and activities are carried out effectively and efficiently, and stations’ capacity to offer meaningful local outreach and engagement is enhanced and/or improved.
- Works with SVP, Engagement on strategic and tactical planning for CPB’s engagement initiatives. This will include the development of department objectives and related operational plans, budgets, and metrics.
- Acts as the lead on specific community engagement programs, projects, and initiatives, directing/performing required project management processes to ensure their effective and efficient execution and completion.
- Conducts internal, interdepartmental planning regarding CPB’s engagement investments and activities with government affairs, communications, and content departments in order to maximize the potential benefit of the investment, as well as other community engagement investments for the public broadcasting system.
- Works with SVP, Engagement, communications, government relations, and media strategies and system development departments to develop Key Performance Indicators (KPTs).
- Collects and utilizes data to inform the development of engagement strategies, initiatives and business models; Shares information, including data, anectdotes, reports, presentations, white papers, etc., regarding the results and benefits delivered from community engagement and awareness investments to ensure/facilitate the understanding and greater effectiveness of CPB and key public media stakeholders.
- Monitors the progress of community engagement investments related to the established project tasks and deliverables as identified in the contract workscopes, ensuring continued alignment and execution in accordance with the established schedules and budgets.
- Monitors and directs engagement contracting and financial transactions.
- Develops detailed Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for responses, supervises proposal evaluation processes.
- Keeps abreast of trends and needs relative to community engagement, identifying potential opportunities and partnerships for CPB involvement/ investments.
- Represents CPB at industry and community meetings, as required, providing information on CPB’s engagement and program outreach investments and activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Broadcasting, or a related field; or equivalent experience.
- Seven years of related experience in progressively responsible positions in a related environment.
- Experience in program and/or business planning, budgeting and project management, and national and local program outreach projects.
- Experience in grants-making and contract management.
- Demonstrated advanced proficiency related to project management and the execution of all phases of the process (e.g., establishing goals, planning, organizing, and managing resources – including budget), as well as in managing multiple concurrent projects and/or project teams.
- Strong organization and time management skills, as well as analytical and negotiation capabilities, and an attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, particularly a demonstrated proficiency in conducting presentations as well as in business writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively and develop and strategically manage staff, and business relationships.
- Advanced critical thinking and problem solving skills, with an ability apply judgment effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Demonstrated technical/computer proficiency with MS Office, to include the usage of WORD, Outlook, and Excel, as well as database; project management programs.
- Some travel required.
- Advanced degree in Communications or a related field.
- Experience with public broadcasting systems and practices.
- Proficient meeting facilitation skills.
- Knowledge of new media technology, and its potential use in enhancing community engagement and program outreach.
For more information about CPB, our programs, and our mission, please visit our website at www.cpb.org. Please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary history to
Link does not work in Internet Explorer.
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting has a commitment to the principle of diversity. In that spirit, we welcome applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, or status with regard to public assistance.