Veterinary Medical Officer
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: Have a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or equivalent degree, i.e., Veterinary Medical Doctor (VMD), obtained at a school or college of veterinary medicine accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association Council on Education (AVMA). (Refer to http://www.avma.org for a listing of all AVMA-accredited veterinary medical schools) OR a graduate of a foreign veterinary medical school that was not accredited by the AVMA Council on Education (refer to AVMA web site, http://www.avma.org for information about schools in this category) but meet one of the following requirements: -1- proof of certification of final transcript by the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) -2- possession of a permanent, full, and unrestricted license to practice veterinary medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States that includes successful completion of the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) or its predecessors, the National Board Examination (NBE) and the Clinical Competency Test (CCT) -3- proof that the education obtained in a foreign veterinary medical program is equivalent to that gained in a veterinary medical program that is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association Council on Education. Under this provision, equivalency is established only if an AVMA-accredited veterinary medical school or college accepts the graduate's final transcript from the foreign veterinary medical school at full value for placement into an advanced degree, postgraduate educational program, or training program (e.g. residency or graduate program).
Additional Qualification Requirements for the Veterinary Medical Officer, GS-0701-12: Have one year professional experience equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service that includes applying laws, regulations, policies and procedures related to veterinary medicine; providing scientific and regulatory facts and opinions on veterinary laws, regulations, laboratory practices, or protocols; and analyzing and interpreting scientific documents, technical data, and opinions related to veterinary medicine OR have a master's degree in an area of specialization, including but not limited to, animal science, avian medicine, food safety, infectious diseases, veterinary clinical sciences, pathobiology, biomedical sciences, veterinary anatomy, veterinary preventive medicine, comparative biological sciences, epidemiology, veterinary parasitology, molecular veterinary biosciences, public health, microbiology, pathology, immunology, laboratory animal medicine, toxicology, wildlife, zoological animal medicine, or sciences related to the work of a veterinary medical officer position. (Must submit transcripts to support dual degree) OR have successfully completed two years of an internship, residency program, or fellowship training program in a discipline related to the position. (Must submit supporting documentation.) If qualifying based on experience, this experience must be reflected in your resume. Volunteer experience can also be used as qualifying experience.
Additional Qualification Requirement for the Veterinary Medical Officer, GS-0701-13:Have one year of progressively responsible professional experience equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service that includes applying laws, regulations, policies and procedures related to veterinary medicine; providing scientific and regulatory recommendations on veterinary laws, regulations, laboratory practices, or protocols; and analyzing, interpreting, and advising on scientific documents, technical data, and opinions related to veterinary medicine OR have a Ph.D. degree in an area of specialization, including but not limited to, animal science, avian medicine, food safety, infectious diseases, veterinary clinical sciences, pathobiology, biomedical sciences, veterinary anatomy, veterinary preventive medicine, comparative biological sciences, epidemiology, veterinary parasitology, molecular veterinary biosciences, public health, microbiology, pathology, immunology, laboratory animal medicine, toxicology, wildlife, zoological animal medicine, or sciences related to the work of a veterinary medical officer position. (Must submit transcripts) OR have successfully completed three years of an internship, residency program, or fellowship training program in a discipline related to the position. OR have a Board Certification that is recognized by the American Board of Veterinary Specialties (ABVS) of the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) which certify eligible candidates as specialists in specific veterinary medical fields. Veterinarians who successfully complete all requirements for Diplomate status in an ABVS-recognized veterinary specialty organization may qualify for the GS-13grade level. Such specialties may include, but are not limited to veterinary toxicology, laboratory animal medicine, poultry veterinary medicine, theriogenology, veterinary anesthesiology, veterinary behaviorists, veterinary clinical pharmacology, veterinary dermatology, veterinary emergency and critical care, veterinary internal medicine, veterinary microbiology, veterinary nutrition, veterinary ophthalmology, veterinary pathology, veterinary preventive medicine, veterinary radiology, veterinary medicine, and veterinary dentistry. The above list of specialty areas for board certification should not be used for parenthetical titles or official job titles unless authorized by the classification standard for the 0701 occupational series. (Must submit supporting documentation.) If qualifying based on experience, this experience must be reflected in your resume. Volunteer experience can also be used as qualifying experience.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date. To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Qualifications are based on breadth/level of experience. In addition to describing duties performed, applicants must provide the exact dates of each period of employment (from MM/YY to MM/YY) and the number of hours worked per week if part time. As qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, failure to provide this information may result in disqualification. Applicants are encouraged to use the USAJOBS Resume Builder to develop their federal resume.
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) on 10/09/2019. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, you may be deemed ineligible or your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities.
You must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. Foreign Education: If you are using education in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentialshave been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For more information about this requirement, please visit the U.S. Department of Education website for Foreign Education Evaluation.
Additional Conditions of Employment:
- Pre-employment physical required: No
- Drug testing required: No
- License required: No
- Mobility agreement required: No
- Immunization required: No
- Bargaining Unit Position: Yes / BUS 3591
- Financial disclosure statement, OGE-450, required: Yes , Please be advised the GS-13 position will be subject to FDA's prohibited financial interest regulation and may require the incumbent of this position to divest of certain financial interests. Applicants are advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the hiring official before accepting this position.
- Incentives may be authorized: Yes, however this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives include the following: moving expenses, recruitment or relocation incentive; student loan repayment, superior qualifications appointment, creditable service for annual leave for prior non-federal work experience or prior uniformed military service, etc.
- If you are serving, or have served in the last 5 years (from 10/09/2019) as an Executive Branch political, Schedule C, or Non-career SES appointee, HHS/FDA may be required to obtain approval by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) prior to beginning employment. You can find out if you have held one of these appointment types by looking at your Standard Form 50s in your Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF), in Section 5 where the legal authorities are listed. If you have served or are currently serving, you must provide a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, documenting this appointment. In addition, you will be required to respond to the question in the assessment and certify your responses to the questionnaire. See Political Appointee FAQ - OPM for more...
- Direct-Hire Authority: On October 11th, 2018, the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) issued a special government-wide Direct Hire Authority (DHA) for Scientific, Technical, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM), and cyber security-related positions nationwide. This position is open to all U.S. Citizens and all qualified candidates will be referred for consideration. The hiring manager may select from any of these qualified candidates without regard to veteran's preference. Learn more about Direct-Hire on OPM's website...
- Reasonable Accommodation: This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Bethesda Center Help Desk (888) 478-4340; TTY/TDD: (866) 539-4484; or by email firstname.lastname@example.org. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. See the Reasonable Accommodation Policy for more information...
- Equal Employment Opportunity: The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor See the EEO Policy for more information...
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the job opportunity announcement closes (at 11:59 pm ET on 10/09/2019), your resume and all supporting documents will be reviewed by HR to determine your eligibility for Federal employment and your qualification for this position specifically.
Interview Process: Structured interviews; may be asked scenario-based interview questions concerning core competencies. Method/tools used to evaluate applicants: work samples, conducting a presentation, reference checks, tests may be used.
Because this vacancy will be filled through OPM's Direct Hire Authority, Veterans Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do NOT apply to positions filled under this announcement. Applications received as a result of job fairs, recruitment events, and emergency hiring mechanisms in support of this hiring initiative will also be accepted during the duration of the direct-hire authority. All qualified candidates will be referred for consideration; the hiring office may conduct interviews at their discretion.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.