CIO/Executive Director for Information Technology
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Interpersonal Skills, Oral Communication, Integrity/Honesty, Written Communication, Continual Learning, and Public Service Motivation.
Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs):
1. Leading Change: The ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People: The ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results Driven: The ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen: The ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions: The ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
Professional/Technical Qualifications (PTQs):
This position also requires that you possess PTQs that represent knowledge, skills, and abilities essential for success in this role. The following PTQs must be evident in your resume.
1. Senior-level experience in managing a major IT portfolio of projects, systems, investments, acquisitions and evaluations.
2. Experience in leading a diverse and complex IT program.
3. Knowledge of public health, healthcare, or scientific research missions and programs.
4. Ability to build and maintain working relationships and partnerships to convey information to support and defend the IT program and budget to high-level officials, other Federal Agencies, the Office of Management and Budget, and Congress.
5. Familiarity with setting programmatic goals and evaluation criteria and monitoring and reporting on progress to high level government officials.
6. Experience in driving innovation and deploying change management initiatives for a comprehensive IT program within a large organization.
It is STRONGLY recommended that you visit the following Office of Personnel Management (OPM) webpage for more information regarding the Fundamental Competencies and ECQs.
IF SELECTED, you will be required to complete an ECQ package by drafting narratives for each of the ECQs and be certified by an OPM Qualifications Review Board (QRB) in order to be placed in this position. If you are currently serving in a career SES appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into the SES, or have successfully completed an SES Candidate Development Program approved by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), you WILL NOT need to draft the ECQs.
Undergraduate or Graduate Education: Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
Salary for Senior Executive Service positions varies depending on qualifications. The annual salary range may be found at the top of this announcement. This position may be eligible for performance bonuses and performance based pay adjustments.
Selectee must serve a one-year probationary period unless s/he previously completed one year the Senior Executive Service.
Standards of Conduct/Financial Disclosure
HHS inspires public confidence by maintaining high ethical principles, and all Federal Government employees are subject to the conflict of interest statutes and regulations, including the Standards of Ethical Conduct, that govern activities with outside organizations and reporting financial holdings. The Ethics in Government Act, PL 95-521 also requires the applicant selected for this position to submit a Public Financial Disclosure Report, OGE-278, prior to assuming the SES position, annually, and upon termination of employment.
Security and Background Requirements
If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Equality is held as one of the most important values at HHS. Selection for this, and any other position, will be based solely on merit. HHS does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, age or membership or non-membership in an employee organization, or any other non-merit factors.
If applying online poses a hardship to you, you may submit your application by contacting Adrienne Mack.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact Adrienne Mack. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Veteran's Preference does not apply to the SES.
As a condition of employment, all male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must have registered for the selective service. If selected for this position, the applicant must sign a statement certifying his registration, or the applicant must demonstrate exempt status under the Selective Service Law.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your cover letter (optional) and your resume (NOT TO EXCEED FIVE PAGES), demonstrating possession of the technical qualifications and achievement of the five executive core qualifications are the documents that will be used to determine your basic and specialized qualifications for the position. YOU MUST ADHERE TO THE PAGE LIMIT ABOVE OR YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.