Civil Engineer- Transportation
Occasional travel - Position requires occasional travel.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation expenses are authorized.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- GOVERNMENT TRAVEL CARD: This position involves travel. A government contractor-issued travel card will be issued and must be retained for official business only.
- TIME-IN-GRADE: - Federal applicants must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade to satisfy time-in-grade restrictions contained in 5 CFR 300, Subpart F.
- BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: You will be required to complete a background/security investigation and meet preliminary requirements prior to onboarding.
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must (1) meet the Education Requirement for the 810 series, (2) provide a copy of transcripts for verification, AND (3) meet the education and/or specialized experience requirements for the grade at which you are requesting consideration.
To qualify for the GS-07 on Experience, you must have at least one full year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to GS-05, it must include:
- Experience assisting higher-graded engineers in performing work relevant to planning, design, or construction of any civil engineering features or projects (buildings, roads, bridges, site preparation, or other related work).
To qualify for the GS-07 onEducation, you must have:
- One full academic year of graduate level education; OR bachelor’s degree with * Superior Academic Achievement http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-policies/#url=General-Policies as defined in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook;
- OR five academic years of pre-professional study.
*Superior Academic Achievement.- In the upper one-third of graduating class; OR a GPA of 3.0 or higher out of 4.0, as recorded on official transcript, or based on courses completed during final 2 years of curriculum; OR a GPA of 3.5 or higher out of 4.0, based on average of required courses completed in major or required courses in major completed during the final 2 years of curriculum; OR Honor Society Membership.
You can also qualify based on a combination of education and experience.
To qualify for the 09 on Experience, you must have at least one full year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to GS-07, it must include:
- Experience as an engineer in applying safety principles and practices relevant to planning, design, or construction of any civil engineering features or projects (buildings, roads, bridges, site preparation, or other related work).
To qualify for the GS-09 onEducation, you must have:
- Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree OR
- Master's or equivalent graduate degree OR
- LL.B. or J.D., if related
You can also qualify based on a combination of education and experience.
To qualify for the GS-11 on Experience, you must have one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the GS-09, which includes following:
- Experience in applying safety principles and practices to the design and/or construction phases of highway projects, including improving safety hardware, roadway geometric elements and work zone operations.
To qualify for the GS-11 on Education, you must have:
- Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
- 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree
- A LL.M., if related
You can also qualify on a combination of higher level graduate education and matching experience.
To qualify for the GS-12 on Experience, you must have one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the GS-11, which includes the following:
- Experience in analyzing and resolving technical issues and problems on highway safety matters as related to design, construction, maintenance and/or operations.
- Experience providing engineering guidance related to highway planning, environment, design, construction and/or maintenance functions.
- Experience in highway safety data analysis, safety studies, and safety problems.
You cannot substitute education for experience at the GS-12 level.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
For additional information about applying to Federal positions, please click on the following link: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-policies/#url=e4
Students enrolled in a qualifying degree program can apply if the anticipated graduation date is within six months of closing date of the announcement. Graduation transcript must be received before start date.
Other applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
All applicants must meet one of the following requirements to qualify for consideration for an engineering position:
A. Successful completion of a degree in engineering that: (1) has at least one program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET); or (2) that included differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced that first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials; (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials; and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics; OR
B. Combination of education or training: college level education, training and/or technical experience that has furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering.
The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
1. Professional registration or licensure - current registration as an Engineer Intern (EI), engineer in Training (EIT), or licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE).
2. Written Test - Evidence of having successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination, or any other written test required for professional registration by an engineering licensure board in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
3. Specified academic courses - Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences which included the courses as specified in Paragraph A above.
4. Related curriculum - Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in an appropriate scientific field, e.g., engineering technology, physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a bachelor's degree in engineering, provided the applicant had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. There should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering type experience. This must be clearly described in your resume.
For more specifics, please see the OPM qualifications standard for GS-800: All Professional Engineering Positions qualifications at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/files/all-professional-engineering-positions-0800.pdf
Displaced employees may be eligible for ICTAP or CTAP priority consideration. For more information, please review the OPM Employee's Guide to Career Transition.
EEO STATEMENT: The Department of Transportation (DOT) maintains a model federal work environment that is free of discrimination. DOT ensures equal employment opportunity for employees and applicants for employment, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, or protected activity.
This vacancy may be used to fill similar positions within 90 days for these locations.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE: PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your resume/ application does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s). Your resume must contain sufficiently detailed information upon which to make a qualification determination. Please ensure that your resume contains specific information such as position titles, beginning and ending dates of employment for each position, average number of hours worked per week, and if the position is/was in the Federal government, you should provide the position series and grade level.
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be scored based upon your responses to the vacancy questions. The top rated applications will be reviewed for the quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position.
Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. The answers you select in the on-line process must be substantiated in your application package. If upon review, it is determined that your described work history, competencies, and/or supporting documents do not support your answer choices, your application may be updated or you may not be referred to the selecting official. Please ensure that your work history provides enough details to support your answers. If referred, all relevant documents including performance appraisals and awards submitted with your application package will be forwarded to the hiring official for review. The Automated Staffing Office is ultimately responsible for determining your final rating.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Other Drug test required No