The Budget Director performs complex and highly responsible job duties in the preparation, maintenance, and control
of the School Division's annual budget. The Budget Director develops and maintains financial models, tools, and
reports to support complex financial analysis, ad hoc reporting, trending and forecasting. The Budget Director
analyzes and prepares accurate financial data and reports for surveys, requests for financial information, LCPS
administration, School Board members and the Virginia Department of Education.
the position. This is not a comprehensive listing of all responsibilities or tasks; other work may be assigned when deemed
* Supervises the planning, organization, preparation, analysis, and review of the annual budget for the School
* Refines the budget document to improve its usefulness as an operations plan, a financial plan, a communication
device, and a policy deliberations tool.
* Refines the budget preparation process to improve preparation tasks for program managers.
* Supervises the preparation all financial reporting outside of the comprehensive annual financial report, to
include projections, monthly financial reports for the School Board and the state mandated Annual School
Report; reviews for trends and variances and makes recommendations.
* Develops and maintains financial reports, models and tools to support analysis, trending and forecasting.
* Responds to inquiries from LCPS personnel, School Board members, citizens, and the press; obtains
supplementary information as needed.
* Responsible for the budgetary approval and processing of financial documents in the budget and general ledger
systems; responsible for maintaining the position control system to ensure that all hiring is for properly
Below are the qualifications for this position:
* Bachelor's Degree in Business, Public Administration, or related field from an accredited college or university;
Master's Degree preferred
* Seven years of experience in budgeting and accounting administration; governmental budgeting and accounting
* Demonstrating knowledge of the theory, principles, practices and techniques of budget, finance, and accounting
* Knowledge of research principles and forecasting techniques to include analysis, interpretation, and use of
* Demonstrated professional and personal characteristics necessary for working effectively with school personnel
and members of the community
* Strong technical skills to facilitate complex budget analysis
* Strong proficiency with Oracle E-Business Suite, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access
The following provides a brief description of physical requirements for this position:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly talking. expressing or exchanging ideas by means of
the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers
accurately, loudly, or quickly. The employee must possess normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall
and apply certain practices and policies. Frequently sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position for long periods of
time. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift,
carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.